Thermostat Thermostat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Thermostat

  1. #1

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Ignis Fatuus has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,318

    Default Thermostat

    My darling OH is generally quite intelligent, but has a strangely irritating blind spot about the central heating thermostat. She seems to think that it's some kind of accelerator - the higher you set it, the faster the house warms up. I can't convince her that it's just either on or off.

    Am I alone here?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

  2. #2

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Sadly not.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  3. #3

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default

    I'm sure this has been discussed about a million times on here.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Ignis Fatuus has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Probably.

    Surely the higher you set it, the longer the boiler stays on, so the hotter the radiators get, therefore the house warms up quicker.

    I've added a fan that blows over the radiator to increase the thermal transfer rate.

    It appears to work rather well.
    Nope. It's on or it's off. If the room temperature is less than the thermostat setting, it's on.

    There is a different thermostat on the boiler, that controls how hot the water is (and therefore how long the boiler stay on for), and therefore how hot the radiators get. But the room thermostat just says "need heat" or "don't need heat".
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Ignis Fatuus has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    I shall implement a datalogging exercise & check for you.

    Can you do an Energy Audit while you're there?

    (Glances at boiler. Old.
    Looks in loft. Insulated.
    Checks boxes. Presents bill for £300).
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

    Spacecadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    12,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Probably.

    Surely the higher you set it, the longer the boiler stays on, so the hotter the radiators get, therefore the house warms up quicker.

    I've added a fan that blows over the radiator to increase the thermal transfer rate.

    It appears to work rather well.
    Painting them black is supposed to increase the radiative heating power of the radiators even further
    Coffee's for closers

  7. #7

    Super Tramp

    RichardCranium has more data than eek

    RichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up Tulip Creek
    Posts
    12,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Painting them black is supposed to increase the radiative heating power of the radiators even further
    cooling

    depending on your point of view.

    Make sure it is matt black, to maximise the effect.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    MrRobin has no reputation

    MrRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    My missus does the same. And with the car climate control...

    A black surface does indeed increase the thermal radiation, but who wants black radiators??
    It's about time I changed this sig...

  9. #9

    Godlike

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobin View Post
    My missus does the same. And with the car climate control...

    A black surface does indeed increase the thermal radiation, but who wants black radiators??
    I think that the use of the heating, ventilation and a/c should be part of the driving test. I see countless expensive cars with misted up windows because the drivers can’t work out the clear the windows.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

  10. #10

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    34,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Painting them black is supposed to increase the radiative heating power of the radiators even further
    Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.
    I was miserable and depressed, but CUK turned it all around. Now I'm depressed and miserable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •