• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scummiest tightbag moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Where did you store the food?
    When I was a very wee lass I went to a birthday party. Sister was sick at home, so I thought it would be nice to take some sweets for her. I didn't have any pockets in my party frock. A quick trip to the loo and I found the perfect hiding place. Despite the discomfort endured in transporting the sweets home, my parents wouldn't allow her to eat them!

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      I also need to find a way to get cheap books. It is 25 dollars (15.50 GBP) for a paperback over here. I consider this nothing short of criminal and it certainly explains a lot!
      Register with BookCrossing. By following that, you can pick up books for free.

Do they have charity shops where you are that sell books like they do in the UK?

What about Amazon?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Some years ago I and about a dozen of my colleagues and spouses arranged a pub Christmas dinner. We ordered two bottles of wine between us. We knew what was on sale at the pub and so we had each bought similar bottles from the supermarket and smuggled them into the pub. The staff were quite surprises that we managed to get so merry on two bottles between us,
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          When I was a very wee lass I went to a birthday party. Sister was sick at home, so I thought it would be nice to take some sweets for her. I didn't have any pockets in my party frock. A quick trip to the loo and I found the perfect hiding place. Despite the discomfort endured in transporting the sweets home, my parents wouldn't allow her to eat them!
          Aah, what a lovely sister.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

When I was a student (so not contractor related) I often used to drink Newcastle Brown. In the pub we used to frequent (the skyrack in headingley) they sold it but it was way more expensive that the Victoria Wine a little further down the road. I used to buy mine there, sneak them back into the pub, and when I was finished, hand them in at the bar for a 10p per bottle refund.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Should have asked for a daily allowance + rate
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                Now I know you guys are all loaded but have any of you ever sank so low?
                To this day, I find myself rummaging in the bin at home finding perfectly good food my wife has chucked, "in case it's off".
                Just last week, there was a half-eaten Chinese curry she couldn't finish the night before.
                After removing the rind on top from the morning's breakfast, it went into the microwave for 3 mins and was eaten - very tasty.
                She is also fond of chucking bread, just because, "it's stale". The only issue with this is that bread tends to soak up any liquid (semi-liquid) items in the bin (tea bags are worst), but it all just adds to the flavour once toasted.
                And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  So doubly applicable to the thread title "scummiest tightbag"

Comment

I went on a 3-week training course where there were 12 delegates: a couple from IBM, a couple from Accenture, others from various other companies, and me the only contractor. On the first night I ended up taking the IBM and Accenture bods (the only ones willing to stay out) out for pizzas, and paid for the meal. This sparked off a kind of "who can claim the biggest expenses" competition between IBM and Accenture, and I pretty much ate top restaurant food for free for the remaining weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X