• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petrol Prices - does anybody care?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway driving in any car is dull

small cars have the problem of being dull, noisy, uncomfortable and generally tulip
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

The wife's 4.0 litre Sovereign died of premature ageing (M reg with only 246,000 on the clock) earlier this year and we've been without a car since. I winced every time we filled it up. ..
      Sorry to hear that. Mine has a fair bit on the clock, and can feel sluggish at first, But it seems OK once the engine has warmed up.

I spoil mine with oil though - Only tip-top quality synthetic, and probably way more than I'm supposed to use. I almost filled the engine to the brim last time.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Sorry to hear that. Mine has a fair bit on the clock, and can feel sluggish at first, But it seems OK once the engine has warmed up.

I spoil mine with oil though - Only tip-top quality synthetic, and probably way more than I'm supposed to use. I almost filled the engine to the brim last time.
        Whereas I was told to only use mineral oil.

As for over-filling it, it just seemed to burn off excess oil.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I remember reading in the Jag Enthusiast Club magazine that if you go to buy a second-hand jag from a bloke and there's no oil on his drive then there's no oil in the car!

Comment

I invested in a 54 plate Golf Tdi (50k miles) before my current contract started as I would be doing on average 120 miles a day (varies due to the different motorways I take depending on the traffic).

I manage to do aprox 550 miles on a full tank of £70. I imagine I am doing a bit of saving there which should compensate for cost of the car (not to mention the cheaper road tax, insurance and maintenance).

So sometimes it can make sense to get a new(er) car provided it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg.

Comment

I'm just glad I work from home. Although I might spend as much on jumpers as you do on fuel, since I still refuse to put the heating on.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                I invested in a 54 plate Golf Tdi (50k miles) before my current contract started as I would be doing on average 120 miles a day (varies due to the different motorways I take depending on the traffic).

I manage to do aprox 550 miles on a full tank of £70. I imagine I am doing a bit of saving there which should compensate for cost of the car (not to mention the cheaper road tax, insurance and maintenance).

So sometimes it can make sense to get a new(er) car provided it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg.
                550 miles with 55 ltrs is heavy for a TDi small hatch even if you are booting it all the time.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  550 miles with 55 ltrs is heavy for a TDi small hatch even if you are booting it all the time.
                  indeed it's only about 35mpg
                  I get close to 50 in a diesel hatchback (57plate)
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    indeed it's only about 35mpg
                    I get close to 50 in a diesel hatchback (57plate)
                    I can bet your not a programmer as it seems u can't even do some basic maths. It works out around 45-50mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      I can bet your not a programmer as it seems u can't even do some basic maths. It works out around 45-50mpg.
                      I can guarantee you are a programmer.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X