• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuff people eat with chips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff people eat with chips

I've been living under a stone, apparently. Or maybe it's got something to do with having only been north of Gloucester once but one of the guys from work I went out with tonight asked for chips with GRAVY (!) in the chip shop. Gravy? That's just wrong IMO. I might strech to curry sauce once in a while but for me chips are to be served in a waxed paper cone with a big dollop of mayo dumped on top.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I've been living under a stone, apparently. Or maybe it's got something to do with having only been north of Gloucester once but one of the guys from work I went out with tonight asked for chips with GRAVY (!) in the chip shop. Gravy? That's just wrong IMO. I might strech to curry sauce once in a while but for me chips are to be served in a waxed paper cone with a big dollop of mayo dumped on top.
    Glasgow = chips & vinegar

Edinurgh = chips & sauce
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      a paper cone. waxed. ????

jeez. thats a hanging offence. how come you have lived so long ?

let me ask you a serious question. forget the gravy, what goes on first, the salt or the vingar ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        a paper cone. waxed. ????

jeez. thats a hanging offence. how come you have lived so long ?

let me ask you a serious question. forget the gravy, what goes on first, the salt or the vingar ?

Well, this is Bath we're taliing about.

There aint no vinegar. Salt normally goes before the mayo, though very occassionally I skip the mayo and have a sprinking of cinammon.

Comment

Chips with curry sauce, it's about the only thing I miss from Ireland
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            You can get curry sauce at the chippies here in Halifax or gravy, both are really nice.

I'm not a fan of vinegar on chips, but gravy to dip in is really nice Good mushy peas too.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Okay so it's Northern Ireland, but the permutations of chips (actually know as a chip) plus gravy/curry/onions/peas/unknown is quite amazing. Doesn't really give you a complete guide, but at least a general idea...

Sphinx Babs

Comment

I thought it was only the Dutch who had that thing about mayo on chips? It's definitely not a traditional thing, even as far south as Bath. Sounds to me like you've been visiting too many chip shops that cater for people who've picked up fancy foreign ways on coach tours and package holidays.

Gravy and curry sauce are both acceptable accompaniments to chips, as long as it's that curry sauce that you get in chip shops. Anything that tasted like some kind of actual curry would ruin them. Chip shop curry sauce has the benefit of mingling with the flavour of the sausages in such a way as to make both of them half-palatable, and it's also able to combine with the necessary sprinkling of vinegar that all chips require. (I'm going to assume that those posts that claim not to understand the necessity of vinegar with chips are the deluded ramblings of deranged imbeciles, because they are.)

The one thing I can't understand about the chippies round here is why they insist on battering the normal-sized (c. 5") sausages, yet never batter the jumbo (c. 10") ones. I don't like my sausages battered, but there's no way I can drink enough booze to get into a state where I could force myself to eat a jumbo chip shop sausage

If you're ever going to the The Netherlands, there's one important phrase to remember: patat zonder ("fries without"). Trot that out, and you'll escape having that wretched mayo (fritessaus to be precise) contaminating your chips

EDIT: I almost forgot: I once bought my Dutch girlfriend a jar of Hellman's mayonnaise as a treat to go with her chips. She thought it was crap, and ended up throwing it away. Next trip home, she brought back a couple of bottles of fritessaus
                Last edited by NickFitz; 11 December 2010, 04:40.

Comment

Salt first, then vinegar to spread the salt over more chips. In Colchester, there was a Chinese restaurant the opened later than the chippy that did a wonderful proper curry with chips.

Mayo I thought was a Belgian thing.

Proper fish and chips is the only thing I really miss as an expat. Though on of the "Irish" pubs does do good battered fish - the chips aren't brilliant though.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Never understood the Mayo thing but the Dutch just live it. Then again funny people the dutch
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X