• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skype down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's a bug affecting "supernodes", apparently. They're working on it
    It was back for 15 mins or so then died again.

And the link times out
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      It was back for 15 mins or so then died again.

And the link times out
      Yep, it took a minute or two to load for me. All it says is:
      Earlier today, we noticed that the number of people online on Skype was falling, which wasn’t typical or expected, so we began to investigate.

Skype isn’t a network like a conventional phone or IM network – instead, it relies on millions of individual connections between computers and phones to keep things up and running. Some of these computers are what we call ‘supernodes’ – they act a bit like phone directories for Skype. If you want to talk to someone, and your Skype app can’t find them immediately (for example, because they’re connecting from a different location or from a different device) your computer or phone will first try to find a supernode to figure out how to reach them.

Under normal circumstances, there are a large number of supernodes available. Unfortunately, today, many of them were taken offline by a problem affecting some versions of Skype. As Skype relies on being able to maintain contact with supernodes, it may appear offline for some of you.

What are we doing to help? Our engineers are creating new ‘mega-supernodes’ as fast as they can, which should gradually return things to normal. This may take a few hours, and we sincerely apologise for the disruption to your conversations. Some features, like group video calling, may take longer to return to normal.

Stay tuned to @skype on Twitter for the latest updates on the situation – and many thanks for your continued patience in the meantime.

Comment

Yep, it took a minute or two to load for me. All it says is:
        Earlier today, we noticed that the number of people online on Skype was falling, which wasn’t typical or expected, so we began to investigate...
        Thanks for the info Nick. The client updated a few days ago and since then I've noticed some problems with contacts not appearing, voice calls being cutoff and so on. Usually Skype has been rock solid and something I rely on to conduct business with ClientCo in the US and other clients.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

You can check Skype's status at Heartbeat - check the life signs on Skype products - or rather, you could, if the site wasn't down
          Holy carp - Your favourites list must be as long as Wikipedia

Where (and how) on Earth do you find all these sites?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Holy carp - Your favourites list must be as long as Wikipedia

Where (and how) on Earth do you find all these sites?
            Skype Heartbeat was linked from a ZDNet news story on the outage that I found via Google News. I can't remember where I first found Down For Everyone Or Just Me - I've got a feeling it was mentioned on the eu-webdev internal mailing list when I was at Y! but it could have been via somebody's RSS feed sometime over the last few years

Comment

"Down down, deeper and down"

It's Tango Uniform, so no well orchestrated WoW instance tonight ...
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X