• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11d?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11d?

I've just had an email from my old umbrella company-

Please find attached your P11d for 04-05, if you would like a hard copy please let us know.

If you are required to submit a Self Assessment return you will need to put the figures from this return onto it.

How do I know if i am required to submit a self assessment?

I thought the umbrella dealt with this as that is what i pay them for, any advise would be helpful.

Being a director of a limited company automatically means self-assessment but AFAIK the same does not apply to umbrella company employees. If you do receive self-assessment forms in the post around April 5th it means they have not nabbed you for SA.

I think your umbrella are being helpful. If you happen to fill an SA form in for whatever reasons, they are supplying you with the figures which are mandatory on the form.

Sounds like you don't have to worry at all as you obviously have not had SA forms in the post.

Comment

If you have taxable income on which you have not yet paid tax then you are required to submit a self assessment regardless of whether the IR send you the forms. Examples might be:-

If you’re a higher rate tax payer and have received dividends or interest on which only basic rate tax has been paid

Untaxed income (e.g. from letting a property).

Since you are no longer a customer of the umbrella company you can’t really expect them to sort it out for you.

Comment

If you have a P11D supplied by the umbrella, I'd guess you should be filling in the appropriate boxes on the tax return.

You know...

The one that the IR so kindly haven't sent you.

Comment

Just ignore it. Works for me.

Comment

> Just ignore it.

Excellent advice. Filling in their quizes just encourages the bastards.

Wish I'd had the balls to do what someone I know has always done - post all IR communications back marked "not known at this address". (doesn't work for wage slaves though).

Comment

Working...
            X