• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you deal with a drop income or being out of work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Wow, to think I only wrote this 2 months ago and now the situation is starting to unfold just like I had (unfortunately) thought! So, having been in constant work since some 15 years (permie then contract), I now find myself in the uncomfortable position of knowing I'll be out of work within the next month or so. I must admit I'm finding the thought of it a little hard to take.

I find myself going through a range of emotions verging on the downside. I shouldn't feel like this because I've always planned for contracting to be a 'bonus' period in my life and I certainly have planned for it that way financially. It's more the fact that I have to leave a client that I don't want to leave, due to my colleagues, culture and location.

My wife has already noticed the change in me and is trying to snap me out of it but I can't get myself to do it. I always thought I'd be stronger and would enjoy the chance to take time off, but I have no plans ahead of me except for spending more time with the family.

It's certainly going to be very weird couple of months ahead of me.
    Interesting

I've not normally had the feeling of depression as such while looking for contract work as the turn around has always been so quick. In 14 years contracting I have always been able to get work. I have felt depressed doing something I don't like, hence I filled time with retail shops for the last 7 years(and other Plan B's)

I did have a bad stint last year when I took the last Oct/Nov/Dec off to work on my own stuff and then when I decided to take out a new contract after a perm start struggled for 6 weeks to get anything. That made me feel low and had the feeling of never working again. Now back working on multiple contracts and Plan B's I wish the opposite and I am desperate for time off.

As Churchill has previously said on this & I agree you have to take the rough with the smooth. It's all or nothing with contracting.

I do find it difficult to understand where that after 15 years a small lay off is such a big deal. Surely your warchest is overflowing & I would have thought this is a perfect opportunity to take some time off to do something you've always wanted to do before heading back into contracting later on in the summer?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I dont think its the job so much. He needs to be the provider, it's where he gets his self-worth and esteem from. I can understand , I am a bit the same myself.
      Lots of people depending upon you and stuff

I seriously don't agree with that.

I find giving yourself the role of provider sets the wrong precedence. You get into your mind that you must work, must earn money to provide for all around you. To be thats stressful in it's own right. If you believe that is your sole role then you tend to do as at all expense of everything else you want to do in life. (ie. you put everyone else first above your own). That to me is the skewed the wrong way.

You need to do for you as much as you do for others.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I seriously don't agree with that.

I find giving yourself the role of provider sets the wrong precedence. You get into your mind that you must work, must earn money to provide for all around you. To be thats stressful in it's own right. If you believe that is your sole role then you tend to do as at all expense of everything else you want to do in life. (ie. you put everyone else first above your own). That to me is the skewed the wrong way.

You need to do for you as much as you do for others.
        That's the ideal, but probably not the reality for many of us. Personally I would find a stretch out of work now very stressful, despite having been able to re-save some warchest since having baby. Perhaps because he relies solely on me. I prepare for being out of work, and would hope to try to enjoy it - but at this point it would be rubbish.

I'd like to get to the above way of thinking at some point though, because I agree that living forever in that way is poopy.

PS - Chimpmaster - sorry to hear that, try to look on the positive side of things though if poss!
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          That's the ideal, but probably not the reality for many of us. Personally I would find a stretch out of work now very stressful, despite having been able to re-save some warchest since having baby. Perhaps because he relies solely on me. I prepare for being out of work, and would hope to try to enjoy it - but at this point it would be rubbish.

I'd like to get to the above way of thinking at some point though, because I agree that living forever in that way is poopy.

PS - Chimpmaster - sorry to hear that, try to look on the positive side of things though if poss!
          aye, your nipper relies solely upon you. That will probably all change in about 35 years

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What happened to Tingles?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Go drive a lorry. Lots of contractors think I'm mad doing this (well not the ones I work with as I'm a logistics contractor) but at £30k a year for temp work it's not bad. Certainly would extend the war chest to a considerable amount of time.

Plus if it gets really bad I'll just ask the gaffer if I can sleep in it
              In all seriousness, how do you go about it?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I've been contracting about 8 years, and the longest I've had off (even during gigs) is 2 weeks. I tend to leave a gig on a Friday and start the new one on a Monday.

But....I'm utterly sh*te with money. I've never got any. I always take too much out of the company, and then panic at the last minute when the Corp tax bill comes in.
                I'm late with VAT, late with PAYE...just utterly hopeless.

If I ever got unexpectedly laid off, I'd be up sh*t creek.

I have no war chest.

So you get a mixture of stories on this board...
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

[QUOTE=SallyAnne;1293279]But....I'm utterly sh*te with money. I've never got any. I always take too much out of the company, and then panic at the last minute when the Corp tax bill comes in.

QUOTE]

Would you be one of those 'female' type contractors perchance?

Comment

[QUOTE=MarillionFan;1293280]
                    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    But....I'm utterly sh*te with money. I've never got any. I always take too much out of the company, and then panic at the last minute when the Corp tax bill comes in.

QUOTE]

Ah I love it when you have a go at the females, while not being able to get your quotes right
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X