• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pavlov's Children. The Brain: a Secret History. Outrage.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    aye, lets put it bed now.
    mind the damp patch

I'm bored.

Any chance of a Friday quiz?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Reed View Post
      She was one of hundreds who was drugged and kept asleep for up to three months in a darkened room and given what they are pleased to call "heroic" amounts of ECT. The BBC barely covered this experiment probably because there is believed to have been government and pharmaceutical business backing for it.
      Not hundreds. Millions, globally. Commonly used willy-nilly for decades in much of the 20th century. See: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, One Few Over the Cuckoo's Nest, or any of Jo Brand's earlier live acts.

And it is still in use.

<a-choo> <whimper> <koff>
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I'm bored.

Any chance of a Friday quiz?
        Good Idea, I'll start.

Which former CUK hardman turned bedwetter allegedly made a mint selling sledges at the end of last year?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Let's all go and picket the BBC and protest about programmes we haven't seen, merely read about on the Internet from some anonymous poster who watched the first 8 minutes of a 60 minute programme.

And you're meant to be a moderator, FFS.
          Who said anything about picketing? MF isn't 'anonymous' to me. And anyway, if somebody describes what they interpreted as child abuse in the name of science, why wouldn't you be disgusted? Regardless of the veracity of their claim. Cahm dahn RC, take some more lemsip.

Comment

Dear Mr Marillionfan

Thanks for contacting us regarding ‘The Brain: A Secret History’, broadcast on BBC Four on 6 January.

I understand that you found the inclusion of images of Ivan Pavlov’s experiments from the 1930’s to be unnecessary and disturbing.

We are aware of the wide range of people who our documentaries bur equally we have a responsibility to cover every aspect of subjects such as this. All our programmes are carefully considered in advance to ensure their content is suitable for broadcast. We believe it would be unacceptable for us to distort or suppress footage such as this because of its subject matter. In this case, the purpose of the experiments was made clear - it showed how Pavlov discovered conditioning.

The presenter Michael Mosley also made it clear how disturbing he found these images during the programme.

We’re guided by the feedback that we receive and to that end I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, programme makers, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Finally, I have attached an invitation from BBC Audience Services' Head of Communications & Complaints, asking you to participate in our customer survey. We would welcome your views on our service.

Kind Regards

Some Fella at the BBC
            BBC Complaints
            Disgraceful.

Comment

Disgraceful.
              I saw part of one episode of the series last night and found the presenter Michael Mosley a bit creepy. I've seen him before and have been left somewhat unimpressed by him, though the Wiki says that he revealed a proposed link between Helicobacter pylori and gastric ulcers in a 1995 documentary, which I gather was controversial until recently, so he may not be all bad.

Comment

I wonder who'll do this post first?
                Originally posted by zeitghost
                No proper serial killer is named Douglas.
                Douglas Daniel Clark. 7 or 8 victims.

Douglas Gretzler. 9 victims.

And, of course, Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader. 10 or 11 victims.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hello guys.
                  I found you through Google while was looking for sources on the named documentary.
                  Sorry for possible dead topic resurrection, I just liked your critical approach and wanted to ask if you know how to find sources on documentaries, preferably without spending 1-3 hours on checking the whole film cycle for them first.

Comment

Interesting, as I just watched my dog salivate as I wafted some treats under his nose, I mentioned to the wife that Pavlov had done the same experiments on children and a number of years earlier I had written to the BBC to complain when they showed some footage.

Interestingly on a quick Google search this is the 2nd or 3rd result. The show has never been rebroadcast again properly so, but reading this again I find the comments of EternalOptimist (a well known ex squaddie friend of a racist and a little dodgy when it came to his sexual tastes) and NickFitz an academical left winger standing up for it. EO I have no time for, Nick I’ll let you put it down to ‘different times’ and say no more about it.

I was right then, and righter now.
                    Last edited by MarillionFan; 22 December 2017, 23:35.

Comment

Interesting, as I just watched my dog salivate as I wafted some treats under his nose
                      "some treats" you say?

The button mushroom more like!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X