• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pavlov's Children. The Brain: a Secret History. Outrage.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Interesting, as I just watched my dog salivate as I wafted some treats under his nose
    "some treats" you say?

The button mushroom more like!!

They're so much happier when they get the whole sausage....

Comment

Secret History? What's "secret" about the "Pavlov's Dog" research?

There were all kinds of "Experiments" on children, aversion therapy, growth rates (where do you think those "Average" figures came from?) in the past, during the last century.
      I happen to believe that the history of how we got to where we are today is a very important source of information. Whether it was Beagles chain smoking woodbines or rabbits having cosmetics dripped into their eyes, or even strapping grown men into rocket sleds to test seatbelts... Or children having their saliva responses measured, it was all at some point necessary presumably. And if the world as we know it is safer, or better, shouldn't we be accepting that maybe how we got here might not be so palatable.

I heard a story which I have enough reason to believe it to be true that a certain car company used to use cadavers to measure the impact damage caused by its cars. Thats how we know the speed someone was hit by a car, below a certain speed they go under it. Above that speed they get knocked forward. Above that speed we go flying. So no real point lying about your speed if you knock someone over...
      Child cadavers were used as well. It was all stopped when someone realised that if the use of child cadavers for "car crash" experiments got out the actual knowledge and benefit gained by this research might be sunk without trace by the uproar.
      So now they use dummies that don't react in the same way because, well, humans have parts that are designed genitically to break a certain way to protect the critical parts.
      Sometimes the "daily hatemail" click bait fake public outcry is completely out of proportion.

Comment

Working...
      X