• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-MP Gets Eighteen Months For Dodgy Expense Claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm waiting for that imbecile Elliott Morley, the ex-Rt Hon MP for Scunthorpe, to get his.

He played a major part in wrecking our farming and fisheries industries.
    Unfotunately being an ex-MP probably means you get a light sentence.

Why did Labour become the party of sleaze ?

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
      Just because they are party of the workers does not mean they don't want to be loaded with cash

Comment

Thanks Nick. Been having trouble typing BBC into Google.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I thought 18 months a bit stiff too, but, as mentioned, it'll probably get reduced on appeal. I wonder if he could get a few tips from Jonathan Aitken about doing his porriage? The thought of just one night at Her Majesty's pleasure is more than enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I expect an appeal to get it down substantially.
            I expect with his appeal he'll be getting it up substantially.

FTFY
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              I expect with his appeal he'll be getting it up substantially.

FTFY

heh heh

v good

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                18 months is too long for that amount, if it was benefit fraud he might only get a few months. I expect an appeal to get it down substantially.
                Bollocks, not only was he robbing the tax payer blind (like all MP's do) but he was taking it to such an excess that even the Parliament authorities thought he'd gone too far.

18 years would have done for starters.

Comment

Eighteen months or eighteen minutes, it doesn't really matter. What troubles me is the fact that he was a MP. Actually, perhaps he should 'swing' for a bit longer because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
                    I don't think it's anything to do with what party he belongs to, but is more to do with the sort of person that would want to become an MP. Corruption in elected officials seems to be an inevitable consequence of democracy. It's true that running for office is more than any honest man could afford.

18 months does seem harsh for a relatively minor fraud, but I'm sure the judge rightly took into account his position of responsibility, and the public anger over MP's expenses. When I read "ex-MP gets 18 months" I was expecting to read "suspended sentence", followed by a lot of moaning that he "got away with it". Bravo to the legal system for once.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I don't think it's anything to do with what party he belongs to, but is more to do with the sort of person that would want to become an MP. Corruption in elected officials seems to be an inevitable consequence of democracy. It's true that running for office is more than any honest man could afford.

18 months does seem harsh for a relatively minor fraud, but I'm sure the judge rightly took into account his position of responsibility, and the public anger over MP's expenses. When I read "ex-MP gets 18 months" I was expecting to read "suspended sentence", followed by a lot of moaning that he "got away with it". Bravo to the legal system for once.
                      Unfortunately we can all be tempted when we have a poorly regulated expense system.

Still all the MPs they are trying are Labour ...

Comment

Working...
                      X