• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The economy is in big trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    DO you mind not posting crap on here. Start your own thread where you can talk tulipe with like minded bedwetters.

HTH.
    WHS.

The great man is speaking.

Comment

First the BOE had to avoid deflation - so they printed money. Now we have inflation (which the BOE and the US Treasury created) and everyone is tulipting their pants.

Isn't it time we stopped using Keynesian methods to attempt to control the economy?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          First the BOE had to avoid deflation - so they printed money. Now we have inflation (which the BOE and the US Treasury created) and everyone is tulipting their pants.

Isn't it time we stopped using Keynesian methods to attempt to control the economy?
          I'm broadly in favour with Keynesian methods but it only works if you run a surplus in the growth years. It's too late to start in the recession.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I'm broadly in favour with Keynesian methods but it only works if you run a surplus in the growth years. It's too late to start in the recession.
            WHS.

You don't borrow more to spend when your spending has bankrupted you.

If you've been prudent and built up a surplus, you spend it in the lean years.

Christ, a 5 year old must see this, but the New Lie only knows tax and spend, then borrow and then spend 10x that and then print money and borrow 100x that....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              WHS.

You don't borrow more to spend when your spending has bankrupted you.

If you've been prudent and built up a surplus, you spend it in the lean years.

Christ, a 5 year old must see this, but the New Lie only knows tax and spend, then borrow and then spend 10x that and then print money and borrow 100x that....
              I don't mind the tax and spend, but the borrow and spend only works if it's for investment (not Gordon's 'investment' but income generating investment). The worst crime has been the off-balance sheet PFIs.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                Morning Gricer,

do you and Malc have children and will you be taking them abroad for half term or easter ?
                Unlike some selfish individuals, we accept that the way we conduct our lives is a lifestyle choice and, as such, precludes the prospect of lhaving children.

We feel that standing around on draughty railway stations is not a suitable environment for young children.

I might add that I do enjoy contact with young people. I am actively involved in the Scout movement and, indeed every year Malc and I perform in our barbershop quartet at the scout gangshow. I reported on last years event within this forum somewhere. I can dig out the link if you're interested.

How's it going with Malc's sleeping patterns ?
                I'm the one with sleeping problems and they are not helped by the decibel levels of Malc's hairdryer. Fortunately he has agreed to a rough towel down every morning as his new years resolution.

Any news on possible re-entry to the Rotary club ?
                I'm working on ticking some more boxes. I'm learning bridge and am shortly to join a circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I took a course on economic in University and yeah. In the good times, taxes rise to build up a surplus for use during the recessions - when taxes are supposed to drop. And there's all sorts of complexity with money supply etc.. but overall that's the basis of.

Don't know what Chicago school theory or Adam Smith would do about the current situation though. Perhaps just throw up their hands?
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

When shoe shining boys like sasguru start passing judgement on economy that's when it is really in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      When shoe shining boys like sasguru start passing judgement on economy that's when it is really in trouble.
                      He's only repeating what he heard some grown-ups say.

Comment

Working...
                      X