• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is MOT Enough To Buy A Used Car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is MOT Enough To Buy A Used Car ?

I have decided to buy a second car budget £8-9k, 6-7 years old and am looking at a Merc C class.

I have seen a few advertised which I want to have a closer look at. I don't know much about cars other than the basics what to look for. If the car comes with 12 months MOTl would this be enough or should I have a further inspection with the AA/RAC etc ?

Check that it's not a stolen car...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      I have decided to buy a second car budget £8-9k, 6-7 years old and am looking at a Merc C class.

I have seen a few advertised which I want to have a closer look at. I don't know much about cars other than the basics what to look for. If the car comes with 12 months MOTl would this be enough or should I have a further inspection with the AA/RAC etc ?
      An MOT states it passed a set of tests at a certain garage on a certain date. From this point onwards anything could have happened.

If they are offering to put it through an MOT then it's a better gauge IMHO.

Comment

An MOT only tests roadworthiness i.e. that the lights, steering and brakes work properly, chassis is sound, bodywork isn't a danger to pedestrians, seatbelts & mountings are up to snuff, that sort of thing.

The MOT test for your vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

It won't tell you if the engine or transmission is on it's last legs or if the car is stolen, has been in accident, written off, or has outstanding finance that you could become liable for.

The best bet is to get a HPI check and either take a knowledgeable friend or get an AA or RAC inspection done to make sure it's mechanically OK. They will also spot if it's been in a shunt. It's also a good idea to look for a car with a proper service history, receipts for work done elsewhere etc. Alternatively go to a main dealer and get one with a guarantee.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

I remember some discussion in your column of the tendency of a certain era of Mercedes to be extremely rust-prone. In our extended family we have an 18-year-old Volvo 760 estate, a 14-year-old Peugeot 106, a 12-year-old Saab 900 and an eight-year-old Mercedes E 200K, all owned from new and kept on the drive. The only one with rust problems is the Mercedes, which we have owned from new and which has been regularly serviced at Mercedes Brooklands. Just before it reached eight years we took up the rust problem up with Brooklands, which said we might be eligible for a goodwill payment. They sent photos of the car to head office, which requested more photos then rejected the claim. Appealing through all levels of management and even to Germany produced neither resolution nor explanation. We can’t see us ever buying another Mercedes, but the Peugeot 106 has been a revelation.

The Mercedes W210 E-class rust problem, shared with W203 C-class and W220 S-class, is well known and is due to cost-cutting at the factory. The effect of it and other problems has been to destroy Mercedes’ reputation for “quality” and led to a tumbling of its used car values. But this is good news for anyone buying a new Mercedes because, like a restaurant striving to recapture a lost Michelin star, Mercedes has to try a lot harder to regain its lost reputation, so the new cars have to be a lot better.

Honest John: a rusty Mercedes, and lack of satnav upgrades - Telegraph
          Last edited by Paddy; 6 February 2011, 18:35.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

How about a nice CLK320. Obsidian black with straw leather and 18" AMG 5 spokes. An honest car owned by my family since nearly new (3 registered keepers - 3rd being me, second my brother-in-law and 1st the Merc garage owner). It's a 2003 though I think it must have been pre-registered as the running in stamp is well into 04. Less than 50K miles. No sat nav/command but just about all the other extras except a sunroof.

It would be within your budget - just - and there'd be no risk of being diddled.

Comment

clk - yuck

that's a Wife's car !

hmmm what to buy in the £9,000 shall we say... 'quality car' bracket ?

A8 diesel

Used AUDI A8 Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK

Phaeton...

voila.... 2006 Phaeton 3.0 v6 diesel 60,000 miles £8,500

2006 VOLKSWAGEN PHAETON 3.0 V6 TDI 4MOTION 4dr [5 Seat] Auto Diesel Saloon

sorteeeed

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                Phaeton...

sorteeeed

Milan.
                Not quite sorted. WTF is this on the advert???

CAR FULL REPER IN VW GARAGE FULL HYSTORY FROM REPER .12 MONTH WARRANTED FROM VW
                His CLK might be a wifes car but they you don't get the knackers for that price you have posted up on here to take a chance with IMO.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 7 February 2011, 08:47.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  clk - yuck

that's a Wife's car !

hmmm what to buy in the £9,000 shall we say... 'quality car' bracket ?

A8 diesel

Used AUDI A8 Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK

Phaeton...

sorteeeed

Milan.
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not quite sorted. WTF is this on the advert???
                  Cut and shut pikey special.

Comment

aha

I see what you mean

ok, back to the drawing board

yet again it seems, you don't get something for nothing

ok £9,000

what about something more modest...

A4 quattro

Mondeo ST220

Passat 4motion

etc