• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(ex) MP - Fair result?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(ex) MP - Fair result?

Expenses scandal fallout BBC News - MPs' expenses: Eric Illsley sentenced to year in jail

Only 1 year?

I think so. Anyone who looks like Bella Emberg deserves some leniency.

Comment

Reasonably good result.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        Only 1 year?
        Plenty of time to pick up the soap on a regular basis. Serves the thieving ****er right.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Plenty of time to pick up the soap on a regular basis. Serves the thieving ****er right.
          So long as he doesn't "flip" his prison cell for his constituency home!!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

One MP at the start of all that scandal had all his expenses paperwork, including receipts, shredded before they could be published. Some chap by the name of Anthony Charles Lynton Blair. He got away with that, so I don't think it is fair.

What would HMRC's view be of us using that as an excuse? "Oh, I didn't know I needed to keep paperwork, silly me. Woopsie."
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Given the amount of jail time for other fraud based offences, it seems about right.

Chaytor got longer, but the judge explained the lower sentance because he simply made the false claims, whereas Chaytor made up the evidence to go with it.

Comment

If you plead guilty to an offence your sentence is lighter.

Plus the judge has to take into account the MP's former "good character".
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Anyone who looks like Bella Emberg deserves some leniency.
                  The inmates have been fantasing about Bella Emberg in the showers for years.

I don't think it's leniency he'll be getting.

Comment

I heard that a sentence of 1 year or more bars you from being an MP. So it was just enough to bugger an attempted political comeback.

Unless Labour get back in and enoble him.

Comment

Working...
                    X