• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays Corporation Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The blunt argument is that they have paid what has been expected of them to pay.

If I go into a shop and ask for a can of coke and the shop keeper asks for 60 pence should I have to pay 80 pence if someone shouts from the back of the shop 60 pence is too cheap?

The tax rules are there, we all know that, to say that they are somehow cheating the system is total piffle.
    It sells newspapers though.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

They should have paid around £3 bln in corp tax - 6 years of that single bank paying what is due would have fully financed High Speed 2 to Birmingham without having to need to plan it being ready by 2026 - this could have been done 10 years earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        They should have paid around £3 bln in corp tax - 6 years of that single bank paying what is due would have fully financed High Speed 2 to Birmingham without having to need to plan it being ready by 2026 - this could have been done 10 years earlier.
        We might have had enough money to fund that if we were not paying benefits to immigrants.

Comment

We might have had enough money to fund that if we were not paying benefits to immigrants.
          Not just immigrants. Plenty of dole bludging chav scum feeding off the state as well.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If I go into a shop and ask for a can of coke and the shop keeper asks for 60 pence should I have to pay 80 pence if someone shouts from the back of the shop 60 pence is too cheap?
            I like the analogy! These effing tree huggers, don't seem to grasp the basic concept that tax is a forced extraction rather than a voluntary contribution.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

The blunt argument is that they have paid what has been expected of them to pay.

The tax rules are there, we all know that, to say that they are somehow cheating the system is total piffle.
              There is a lot of public anger towards banks, largely due to the narrative created by the previous government and amplified by the media. This is obviously not going to go away.

Regardless of whether you think banks are good or bad (personally I think they are criminals, as has been proven in many courts in many countries), the main issue I have with this is that, thanks to this smokescreen, the government gets a free pass on the issues at hand, namely regulation, supervision, and (in this case) tax law.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

That's because there is a strong public belief that the deficit is solely and completely down to the banks.

Never mind the fact that the government were overspending since 2003 - long before we'd ever heard of sub-prime.

The banks had/have a large part to play in the crisis, but the true blame probably lies 50/50 with the previous government. However the left have managed to convince the majority that the blame ratio is 99/1 (and they won't even fully admit to the "1"). Fantastic marketing, it has to be said, because so many have been suckered by it.

But that means that every single government cut is being blamed completely on bankers.

Comment

Working...
                X