Burn them! (but capture the Carbon, okay?) Burn them! (but capture the Carbon, okay?)
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 59
  1. #1

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,094

    Default Burn them! (but capture the Carbon, okay?)

    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

  2. #2

    More fingers than teeth

    TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

    TimberWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,505

    Default

    He should be excommunicated. Atheist too. I'll get the fire ready.

  3. #3

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default

    It's a bit sad that you need to refer to Johnny Ball as "Zoe Ball's father Johnny".

    Good article.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

  4. #4

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,094

    Default

    He's knocking up a chart using some "adjusted" data showing that comparing now to the coldest year in recent history makes it look warmer, even though it is freezing just about everywhere in the world.

    Still, village idiot, cretin / moron types lap it up and put it in their latest spreadsheet.

    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    GreenLabel has no reputation


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Where's the sockie PJClarke?

    Surely he has to rebut this rebuttal?
    Sas may have forgotten the password.

  6. #6

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    I've a lot of respect for Johnny Ball, his TV programmes were undoubtedly part of the reason I'm interested in physical science, can appreciate mathematics and trained as an engineer.

    As it happens I agree with the views expressed in that article (despite it coming from the Wail) as I've yet to see evidence to convince me that AGW is real and remain firmly sceptical although open minded. His cost outlines are quite alarming and I agree with his sentiment about children being indoctrinated as I have 2 children in school and one at uni all of which were subjected to it. Fortunately they're bright enough to have thought about the issues and discussed them so they're firmly sceptical too.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,806

    Default

    I instinctively warmed to the almost Heath Robinson-like engineering behind those early attempts to harvest the energy of the wind and the waves, the tide and the sun.
    But there was a big problem: Hard as I tried, I couldn’t make the sums add up. These devices either didn’t produce anything like enough energy, or the energy they produced was too expensive to be economically viable....
    Sad isn't it....my view too and the view of most of the engineers in the electricity generation industry, where I used to work as an Engineer.

    and now the National Parks are littered with useless Heath-Robinson contraptions.
    I'm alright Jack

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

    Spacecadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    12,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Sad isn't it....my view too and the view of most of the engineers in the electricity generation industry, where I used to work as an Engineer.

    and now the National Parks are littered with useless Heath-Robinson contraptions.
    I'm sure there was something on Material World a few months ago about how the Scottish rivers are being ruined by hydro electric with the effect that some rivers are dry Monday-Friday and then turned back on for the tourists at the weekend.
    Coffee's for closers

  9. #9

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm sure there was something on Material World a few months ago about how the Scottish rivers are being ruined by hydro electric with the effect that some rivers are dry Monday-Friday and then turned back on for the tourists at the weekend.
    It's always seemed to me that turning all the disused mills into small hydro electric plants was something of a no-brainer, as essentially the environmental damage has already been done. And there's an argument that it's preserving the heritage, even if it's not quite the original purpose.

    The BBC had an article about Scottish hydroelectrric yesterday. The problem is whenever you read about these schemes (as one mentioned in that article), they all sound impressive until you get to the bit that says "provide enough power for 200 homes". 200 homes barely seems worth the effort, and as that doesn't count businesses, schools, transport, etc., it's actually far less than the requirements for 200 families.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

    Spacecadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    12,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    It's always seemed to me that turning all the disused mills into small hydro electric plants was something of a no-brainer, as essentially the environmental damage has already been done. And there's an argument that it's preserving the heritage, even if it's not quite the original purpose.

    The BBC had an article about Scottish hydroelectrric yesterday. The problem is whenever you read about these schemes (as one mentioned in that article), they all sound impressive until you get to the bit that says "provide enough power for 200 homes". 200 homes barely seems worth the effort, and as that doesn't count businesses, schools, transport, etc., it's actually far less than the requirements for 200 families.
    Found something with pictures:
    Why is the River Garry Dead?
    Coffee's for closers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •