• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next year 10,000 Britons are going to die.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There have been lots of reports to show that it's not the people you expect who are drinking the most.

And lots of alcoholics remain functional for along time before they either kick the habit or drop dead.
    Tony Blair had (still has) a drink problem
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Tony Blair had (still has) a drink problem
      It is a problem.

It hasn't killed the cant.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        ...due to global warming.

Health effects of climate change in the UK : Department of Health - Publications

The biggest danger to health, and the most likely to occur, is a major heatwave. The report predicts a heatwave will occur by 2012, causing between 3,000 and 10,000 deaths. Scientists put the odds of a heatwave in the south-east of England by that time at around 1 in 40. The report says: "In terms of conventional thinking about risks to health, 1 in 40 is high.” A French heatwave in 2003 caused the deaths of an estimated 14,000 people, most of them elderly.

However, it was published by the Labour government on the 1st April 2001.

I'm ordering a new barbeque and a lorry load of chilled beer in anticipation.

You know Dim, what I don't understand is why you relish in demonstrating your stupidity.

In fact there was an unusual heatwave in 2003 during which more people than usual over the period died.

2003 European heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The UK Health Protection Agency estimated 3000 extra deaths due to heat in 2003.

Moron.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Can't say I noticed it in Swindon. Probably just took my coat off.

Comment

Can't say I noticed it in Swindon. Probably just took my coat off.

When you're as thick and bone-headed as you, you probably don't feel any extremes of weather at all.

You really are a prize imbecile.

Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

It is a problem.

It hasn't killed the cant.

Well with your spare millions inviting him to do a talk and mix the wine with rocket fuel.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Next year 10,000 Britons are going to die...due to global warming.
                The report predicts a heatwave will occur by 2012, causing between 3,000 and 10,000 deaths.
                "by 2012", written in 2001, doesn't mean "in 2012". According to this article, the Health Protection Agency recorded between 2000-3000 excess deaths in England alone in the 2003 heatwave:

Rise in deaths amid heatwave - Telegraph

which makes that 2001 government prediction look pretty close to what actually happened.

Comment

Working...
                X