Letters to a Heretic Letters to a Heretic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,681

    Default Letters to a Heretic

    There's an interesting example here of a climate change dogmatist trying to browbeat skeptic Prof Freeman Dyson.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  2. #2

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    There's an interesting example here of a climate change dogmatist trying to browbeat skeptic Prof Freeman Dyson.
    What happened to the revelation that climate data had been falsified and emails bounding around from the pro agw scientists admitting this? How this even still has legs is beyond me, or rather I think I see only too clearly that the G20 want to fund future globalisation projects from carbon taxes.

    Science has nothing to do with this any more.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    There's an interesting example here of a climate change dogmatist trying to browbeat skeptic Prof Freeman Dyson.
    Does it contain the words moron, bedwetter and village idiot. If not, I'm not interested.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  4. #4

    Prehistoric

    thunderlizard is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    What happened to the revelation that climate data had been falsified and emails bounding around from the pro agw scientists admitting this? How this even still has legs is beyond me
    Well,
    let's say that I've never seen an elephant, so I don't believe in them. In order to convince me that elephants exist, you send me loads of photos of elephants. However, it turns out that one of the photos of elephants isn't genuine. It's a photo of an empty zoo cage, with a very realistic drawing of an elephant photoshopped into it. Maybe you knew that, and maybe you didn't. It still doesn't make all your other photos any less valid or convincing.

    The UEA emails are interesting to some and might show some dodgy conduct, but they aren't essential to the whole debate.

  5. #5

    More fingers than teeth

    TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

    TimberWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,505

    Default

    Well if next winter is going to be as cold as this and last winter, I'm emigrating somewhere warm. Either that or putting some heating on.

    Anyone else not used their central heating yet?*




    *only open to UK residents

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is always on top

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    54,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Does it contain the words moron, bedwetter and village idiot. If not, I'm not interested.
    You forgot word "cretin".

    HTH

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    You forgot word "cretin".

    HTH
    No. I knew you'd appear.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  8. #8

    Super poster

    amcdonald is too good to be a permie

    amcdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down the pub
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Well if next winter is going to be as cold as this and last winter, I'm emigrating somewhere warm. Either that or putting some heating on.

    Anyone else not used their central heating yet?*




    *only open to UK residents
    That's because the warmists believe that colder winters are proof of global warming
    Doing the needful since 1827

  9. #9

    The beerded one

    EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

    EternalOptimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castle Saburac
    Posts
    22,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Well,
    let's say that I've never seen an elephant, so I don't believe in them. In order to convince me that elephants exist, you send me loads of photos of elephants. However, it turns out that one of the photos of elephants isn't genuine. It's a photo of an empty zoo cage, with a very realistic drawing of an elephant photoshopped into it. Maybe you knew that, and maybe you didn't. It still doesn't make all your other photos any less valid or convincing.
    just to add a little to your analogy.

    The people who send you the photos have never seen one either. They 'know' it exists because they have a computer model that proves that there are small animal, bigger animals, much bigger animals, so therefore there must be a VERY big animal.
    plus they have found a great big massive heap of steaming sh1te. now, where did THAT come from. Its unprecedented, no animal EVER has produced such a heap. therefore there must be a big animal.

    except we know that there did used to be big animals, we can prove it.

    So there is a large area of doubt. Now you are admitting that these guys are dodgy to boot and they want £10000000000 ? for a cage

    hmmm. I will wait till you catch one TL if its all the same to you



    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

  10. #10

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    22,978

    Default

    Is Steve Connor - the science editor of the Independant - a scientist? Has he had any scientific training? I'd guess not, as he seems to be following the usual humanities degree approach to what scientific proof actually means, and what experimental evidence is.

    In history, for example, the "truth" is determined by consensus. What most people who have studied it think, and agree is the truth of what happened. In science it's not. If it's verifiable or falsifiable, then evidence will show whether it's likely to be true. If it's neither - it isn't science.

    I note that Steve Connor has a rather uncomplimentary entry in badscience.net

    So - journalist vs scientist over a question of science. Journalist is a pillock for picking the fight.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •