• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Then there's the spongers...."go on your loaded....."
    My loaded what? Or did you mean You are often written as you're?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Hey, TM! You're still missing a full stop after 'meaning' in your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Hey, TM! You're still missing a full stop after 'meaning' in your signature.
        Thanks, I forgot to fix that when you mentioned it before. I'll review it later.

Comment

I love you're grammatical tirades
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I love you're grammatical tirades
            EVIL GIT. I just find the use of wrong words throws the context off and it's hard to read, I know my grammar and punctuation can be a bit awful sometimes.

Comment

EVIL GIT. I just find the use of wrong words throws the context off and it's hard to read, I know my grammar and punctuation can be a bit awful sometimes.
              I no.

I am gonna do it on purpose with you from know on.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You need a full stop after 'read'.

Comment

My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                    I ask this as I find the biggest mental hurdle for me contracting is the views/comments of my family and friends through I think just not fully understanding contracting.

Its almost like they think this is just a temporary mad phase I'm going through and I will soon see sense and go back to a 'proper job'. I quit my permie job to go contracting and I got my first contract and got told "well they might offer you permanent which would be good to take".

I've had comments about 'not getting paid while off' even after saying well I get paid more contracting to cover for those times and have savings purposely built up to cover also, I get 'well thats a good job you do given you don't get paid when off!' in a sarcastic tone.

My other half earns a good wage as a permie and certain tones/comments makes me believe they are thinking I'm now having this great time working as a 'temp' and my other half is now having to cover me. I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

Anyone else has experience of this? I know I should not care what other people think but sometimes it drives me mad feeling I have to keep justifying my reasons/choices to go contracting.
                    Doesn't the fact that you own a massive house and drive a Lambo get the message across to them?

You are a contractor, after all.

sasguru

MF
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X