how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor? how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 69

Banned

robin has no reputation

Default how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?

I ask this as I find the biggest mental hurdle for me contracting is the views/comments of my family and friends through I think just not fully understanding contracting.

Its almost like they think this is just a temporary mad phase I'm going through and I will soon see sense and go back to a 'proper job'. I quit my permie job to go contracting and I got my first contract and got told "well they might offer you permanent which would be good to take".

I've had comments about 'not getting paid while off' even after saying well I get paid more contracting to cover for those times and have savings purposely built up to cover also, I get 'well thats a good job you do given you don't get paid when off!' in a sarcastic tone.

My other half earns a good wage as a permie and certain tones/comments makes me believe they are thinking I'm now having this great time working as a 'temp' and my other half is now having to cover me. I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

Anyone else has experience of this? I know I should not care what other people think but sometimes it drives me mad feeling I have to keep justifying my reasons/choices to go contracting.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I ask this as I find the biggest mental hurdle for me contracting is the views/comments of my family and friends through I think just not fully understanding contracting.

Its almost like they think this is just a temporary mad phase I'm going through and I will soon see sense and go back to a 'proper job'. I quit my permie job to go contracting and I got my first contract and got told "well they might offer you permanent which would be good to take".

I've had comments about 'not getting paid while off' even after saying well I get paid more contracting to cover for those times and have savings purposely built up to cover also, I get 'well thats a good job you do given you don't get paid when off!' in a sarcastic tone.

My other half earns a good wage as a permie and certain tones/comments makes me believe they are thinking I'm now having this great time working as a 'temp' and my other half is now having to cover me. I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

Anyone else has experience of this? I know I should not care what other people think but sometimes it drives me mad feeling I have to keep justifying my reasons/choices to go contracting.
    As long as you and your partner are happy, don't let it bother you. But if it does, leave some business bank account statements around. They won't understand the need to pay VAT and other taxes so they'll think you're raking it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Get friends who are less concerned with judging you?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each year, you're a loser.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Suffers Fools...Badly!

shaunbhoy is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each year, you're a loser.
    But you only earn six figures because you count the first two places after the decimal point.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each month from each of your contracts, you're a loser.
    MF.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    But you only earn six figures because you count the first two places after the decimal point.

There's a reason why you're poor.
    Its because you're thick.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Godlike

alreadypacked has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

What is your career plan?
    How are you going to climb the next rung of the contracting ladder?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    How are you going to Bob prof your skill set?

These questions are not just for permies, if you don't think about them now in a few years time you will be on the bench.

Maybe it's you, who do just not fully understanding contracting.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Godlike

milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced

Dobbin,

you don't half ask some silly questions

Milan.

More time posting than coding

Sands of Time has no reputation

Never explain anything to anyone about anything.

Breaching Official Secrets Act.

Bing!