• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign drivers using loophole to pay only £100 for car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They'll never take me alive!
    Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Evening Standard:
      That's written strongly in how EU works - you're competing on the European market so a Romanian insurer can insure all kinds of cars, likewise the British one.
      I'm pretty sure Brits can go and register and insure their cars in Romania.
      When you go on a contract to Belgium, do you really want to have to re-register and insure your car every 6 months, regardless of whether it is cheaper?

In this regard UK has a long way to go - on the mainland there aren't any borders to speak of - you see the signs of entering another country but that's it.
      If the fuel in France is cheaper than Germany then people living to the border will drive to the French gas station, nothing really wrong with that, just the market at work.

Comment

The work ethic I see in these Poles will almost certainly be passed on to their kids
        No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society and while we have an ethos that discourages responsibility by too ready welfare, an excessive concentration on rights that ignores duties, all these migrants will go down the same hill.

Try checking rather than assuming. For example, a couple of big pluses for the Muslim community used to be an avoidance of drugs and alcohol. Alcohol related hospital admissions for are now just the same as for the rest of us and drug use is fast rising to the same levels.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society and while we have an ethos that discourages responsibility by too ready welfare, an excessive concentration on rights that ignores duties, all these migrants will go down the same hill.

Try checking rather than assuming. For example, a couple of big pluses for the Muslim community used to be an avoidance of drugs and alcohol. Alcohol related hospital admissions for are now just the same as for the rest of us and drug use is fast rising to the same levels.
          So you're saying that we're achieving social integration?

Comment

In other words, Britain's gone rotten and it's turning its immigrants rotten?

You might be right there.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Indeed. It will be paradise.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Indeed. It will be paradise.
                So what you're saying is that the Polish second generation will be just like the Brits except with a few Z's in their names.
                Where's your beef?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society
                  My wife's a teacher in a school with a fair few Polish (or similar) kids and reports that they are hard-workers as a group. Also it's plain obvious that culture is passed down, how many polish kids born to Polish parents in the UK don't speak Polish?

It likely gets watered down over time/generations depending how insular their community is... but then when they are insular you complain they're not integrating (with our society of laziness).
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We suffer their drawbacks of lack of integration today, our own drawbacks of a complacent lazy society tomorrow or after a generation or two anyway. Not to mention a greatly overcrowded country. It sounds less than sensible; we should be tackling our own problems like welfare, booze and unmarried mothers rather than continually spending billions on trying to integrate others.

And subsidising some of them via our taxes. As I said, check out the realities with the ONS rather than parrot the permitted line. Welfare, prison population, health and social housing levels are worse for some major ethnic groups and we are not talking percentage points but multiples in some cases.

We should also build on the major progress we have made in the last hunderd years, things like the secular society, equality of treatment for women and gays and humane treatment of animals. Influence is a two way street and those gains are under threat or at least slowed by imported third world attitudes. To some extent even by the rise in Catholic influence from Eastern Europe, it is not the easy going Christianity of the CofE.

PS Specifically on Poles/Hungarians I would agree they are not a major problem. Romania (original subject of this thread), Lithunia rather different.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 March 2011, 18:20.
                    bloggoth

Comment

it is not the easy going Christianity of the CofE.
                      Is that the same "easy going" christianity that even to this day forbids the heir to the throne marrying, or even deciding to become a Catholic?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X