• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climate change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate change

Question for the experts (sasguru on statistics and pjclarke on science).

It's called climate change, so this means the climate must be changing.

So simple question, for the UK for example, what is the climate changing from (the past pre CO2 output) and what is it heading to?

Is it heading for freezing winters on the whole with heavy snowfall being not uncommon or is it heading for almost snow free winters (bar the once in XXX year freak events)?

Are summers going to be record breaking heatwaves and lots of dead bodies or are the recent damp squib summers the future climate?

Put your money where your mouth is and use science to make predictions that can be measured, without changing it all when you look like plonkers down the line

PS. you can't keep changing the science and just say "it's science, it evolves". That's just called lieing, guessing or being plain wrong all time.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

PS. you can't keep changing the science and just say "it's science, it evolves". That's just called lieing, guessing or being plain wrong all time.
    This statement shows you don't understand what science is. I suggest Kuhn ("The structure of scientific revolutions") and Popper as suitable background reading.
    That will avoid making mistakes such as EO asking for proof of a scientific theory
    Otherwise you are just ing and I refer you to my post:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1290365

HTH, BIKIW
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      This statement shows you don't understand what science is. I suggest Kuhn ("The structure of scientific revolutions") and Popper as suitable background reading.
      That will avoid making mistakes such as EO asking for proof of a scientific theory
      Otherwise you are just ing and I refer you to my post:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1290365

HTH, BIKIW
      Chocolate teapot response as usual.

I think it you that doesn't understand science and thinks it can say whatever it wants, whenever it wants, without basis, proof or accountability.

This all goes to show there is proper science, which has made progress for mankind and there is AGW science which is akin to looking at the runes.

Comment

Question for the experts (sasguru on statistics and pjclarke on science).

It's called climate change, so this means the climate must be changing.

So simple question, for the UK for example, what is the climate changing from (the past pre CO2 output) and what is it heading to?

Is it heading for freezing winters on the whole with heavy snowfall being not uncommon or is it heading for almost snow free winters (bar the once in XXX year freak events)?

Are summers going to be record breaking heatwaves and lots of dead bodies or are the recent damp squib summers the future climate?

Put your money where your mouth is and use science to make predictions that can be measured, without changing it all when you look like plonkers down the line

It's going to change from being globally cooler to globally warmer. On average. Clue is in the name 'global warming'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It's going to change from being globally cooler to globally warmer. On average. Clue is in the name 'global warming'.
          So global cooling is evidence of global warming, and carbon taxes aren't just a con to fleece people out of more money for no reason
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I think it you that doesn't understand science
            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              So global cooling is evidence of global warming, and carbon taxes aren't just a con to fleece people out of more money for no reason
              Just answering the question. BTW I have no faith in carbon taxes.

Comment

Sir Isaac Newton called - he wants his Clockwork Universe back

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Sir Isaac Newton called - he wants his Clockwork Universe back
                  oh that old fraud.

I always wondered what would have happened if it had been a mango that fell on his ead

Bruce Newton's First Law of Motion:
                  I. G'Day. Every object in a state of Queensland tends to remain in that state unless an external force is applied to it.

Bruce Newton's Second Law of Motion:
                  II. Two bodies will attract each other with a force proportional to the size of the budgie smuggler and the peanut smuggler, and inversely proportional to their distance from the bar

Bruce Newton's Third Law of Motion:
                  III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Grolsh.sorry about the carpet mate.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Sorry to disappoint but the model resolution is not yet good enough to give useful short term predictions at the sub-continental scale. (The clue is in the name: global warming). For Europe see here. At the regional level apparently paradoxical things can happen:- the rapid warming of the Arctic can increase winter precipitation in Europe and North America giving the apparently ironic result of more snow. The planet is like that, complex.

Now let me explain something: scientists conduct research and publish it in journals, after extensive review and with caveats and statements of uncertainty. No scientist will ever state that a theory is 100% correct or that science is settled . For example the IPCC estimate that there is around a 10% chance that the recent GW is not anthropogenic. Sometimes other scientists publish commentary contradicting, refining or improving the results and so the endeavour progresses.

Journalists write articles about the studies. Generally appalling, often misquoting the scientists, frequently brushing away the caveats and uncertainties (this certainly happened with the 'hockey stick'). Finally a sub-editor adds a headline to the piece which may or may not be a useful summary..

Showing that a headline from a decade ago is apparently contradicted a more recent one is a bizarre use of time. Assuming you'd like to be taken seriously, if you could find an actual primary study predicting more snow contradicting another study predicting less, after the error bars are taken into account, then I for one would be all ears. Otherwise it's all just MediaWank.

Anyhoo, Northern Europe is predicted to warm most rapidly in winter, and before you jump in with the obvious knee-jerk response, I would point out that seven out of the last 10 European winters (and 10/10 summers btw) have been warmer than the long term average. Climate is like that. Long term.

BTW At a global level, the IPCC projected an increase in surface temperatures from 1990-2010 of +0.32C. The actual observed trend was ....

0.32C.
                    Last edited by pjclarke; 2 March 2011, 20:54.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X