• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thank God For America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I'll have a look. I do like some British stuff. Just turned off by childish references to bodily functions. I guess some of it is also down to taste too. Never got Reeves and Mortimer. Really like that Alexander Armstrong double act show though. And HIGNFY is and has been the best thing on TV for years.

My tastes would be summed up by the shows in my OP, Seinfeld, Woody Allen, Lemmon/Matthau and the big constant in my life the great Lucille Ball.
    Sounds to me like you like American comedy! Nothing wrong with that. How do you feel about Black Books? Black Books - 4oD - Channel 4

If you haven't seen it, it may be more to your taste than Spaced.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      The American comedy I watch is in German so its not funny. The problem with all American comedy is that is has to have a 'feelgood' ending, a moral if you like. Why can't it just end funny (personally I think most of its bollocks, you only have to watch Friends to work that one out.)
      I did hear (I like to think it's true) that there was a plan to remake Fawlty Towers in America, but deep down Basil and Sybil had to love each other.

Comment

The problem with all American comedy is that is has to have a 'feelgood' ending, a moral if you like.
        WHS - That's what I meant by slushy and sentimental
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'll have a look. I do like some British stuff. Just turned off by childish references to bodily functions. I guess some of it is also down to taste too. Never got Reeves and Mortimer. Really like that Alexander Armstrong double act show though. And HIGNFY is and has been the best thing on TV for years.

My tastes would be summed up by the shows in my OP, Seinfeld, Woody Allen, Lemmon/Matthau and the big constant in my life the great Lucille Ball.
          partridge, office, extras, blackadder, red dwarf, monty python films, green wing, the thick of it, peep show, brass eye, big train, marion and geoff are all quality, little britain/catherine tate/my family are just utter shash

us office, curb your enthusiasm, arrested development are the only decent us comedies - used to like stuff like friends but once you notice the formula its gets less funny

the yanks do piss all over us when it comes to TV drama though
          sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Sounds to me like you like American comedy! Nothing wrong with that. How do you feel about Black Books? Black Books - 4oD - Channel 4

If you haven't seen it, it may be more to your taste than Spaced.
            Thank-you. I will have a look.

Anyone remember a bizarre comedy sketch show from the 90s that used to air really late on BBC2 called Comedy Nation? That was weird but very funny. They had a character with an oversized head who would always be trying to ingratiate himself to people in awkward social situations but he would always just get spat out by them. Quite painful viewing actually!

Comment

Inbetweeners and Peep show are some of my fav programs. Green Wing we bought the box sets for and have watched them twice. The Thick of It is very good as well. There was a new one that started recently called "Friday Night Dinner" that we thought could have some potential..

One program Mrs Jog has taken to which I absolutely cannot stand is 'Miranda' - I think they've reused the set from Black Books as their shop as well -

I like some of the cartoon stuff from the US - in particular American Dad and Cleveland. Can't be doing with Family Guy though. And of course South Park still never fails to deliver.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Never liked Noel Redding. He was on that Buzzcocks "show" .
                All Along the Watchtower was better, where Hendrix played bass himself.

Noel Fielding can be quite funny.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  All Along the Watchtower was better, where Hendrix played bass himself.

Noel Fielding can be quite funny.
                  Lol. My mistake.

I was watching a clip of Hendrix on the Lulu Show the other night and there's Noel in his Plastercasters Tee Shirt. I'm sure the shows producers had absolutely no idea of the meaning of this. Not exactly subject matter for a family show!

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    League of Gentlemen
                    Black Books
                    Green Wing
                    Alan Partridge
                    The Fast Show
                    The IT Crowd

British Comedy can be good
                    Agreed. Don't forget "Nighty Night".
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

The American comedy I watch is in German so its not funny. The problem with all American comedy is that is has to have a 'feelgood' ending, a moral if you like. Why can't it just end funny (personally I think most of its bollocks, you only have to watch Friends to work that one out.)
                      Have you even seen Das iTeam - die Jungs mit der Maus - the German remake of the IT Crowd? I say remake - more exact copy....

Comment

Working...
                      X