• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy 30th Birthday, ZX81

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    3D Monster Maze, ah nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    3D Monster Maze is Dooms grandad

Elite was another special moment, but I must have been the only person who hated manual docking

3D Ant Attack on the speccie was another
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

3D Monster Maze is Dooms grandad

Elite was another special moment, but I must have been the only person who hated manual docking

3D Ant Attack on the speccie was another
      And his dad was Wolfenstein. I downloaded Wolfenstein on my iPod, but it must have been rubbish as I've since deleted it and don't even recall what it was like now. I'm off to see whether Doom is [freely] available for the iPod...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Sinclair ZX81: 30 years old tomorrow ? reghardware

I never had one. Or a Spectrum. Or a C5.
        Neither did I, but I had a Commodore Vic 20 which started me off as a programmer all those years ago. Thanks Commodore

Interesting stats, a vic 20 had:-

CPU: MOS 6502, 1MHz
        RAM: 5K (3.5K for the user)

Just imagine where things will be in another 30 years. Computers better be like Star Trek or I wont be happy

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          And his dad was Wolfenstein. I downloaded Wolfenstein on my iPod, but it must have been rubbish as I've since deleted it and don't even recall what it was like now. I'm off to see whether Doom is [freely] available for the iPod...
          3D Monster Maze was years before Wolfenstein that's the point, I can't think of an original before that

Comment

And Z80 Assembler, those were the days

PUSH BC
            POP DE
            LDIR
            DJNZ

Fond memories of a wasted youth

Comment

3D Monster Maze was years before Wolfenstein that's the point, I can't think of an original before that
              Wolfenstein was released in 1992; but before that, in 1991, the legendary John Carmack of Id Software had written an EGA first person shooter (the first ever, I think) called Catacomb 3-D I should know, as I had a thumping headache the first time I played it for a couple of hours.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

ZX81, with the RAM Pack that talked to you when the house was quiet and lost everything you had done if you wiggled it even slightly.

BBC Model B.
                Sharp MZ-80k. You had to load the OS from tape every time you switched it on.
                Apple IIc.

Then off to Uni where I got to play with Sun 150 Worksations, A PDP-11 of some vintage and a VAX 11/750 as well as seeing a PC for the first time, learning 68000 asembley code on a Mac Plus and developing a serious Nethack habit.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I had one of these:

Then later an Atmos:

Which at least had a proper keyboard.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Wolfenstein was released in 1992; but before that, in 1991, the legendary John Carmack of Id Software had written an EGA first person shooter (the first ever, I think) called Catacomb 3-D I should know, as I had a thumping headache the first time I played it for a couple of hours.
                    3D Monster Maze was released in 1981, a full decade before Catacomb or Wolfenstein.

So whilst it's primitive it should get some credit for what followed really...3D for 1981 was a big thing!

For its time it was impressive and required a whopping 16k of Ram which for a ZX81 was like the Doom of its time
                    Last edited by amcdonald; 6 March 2011, 23:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      I did buy one along with the 16k rampack thingie. Lots of fun
                      Did someone say 16k!

What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X