Gazumped! Gazumped!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Gazumped!

Contractor Among Contractors

dang65 has no reputation

Default Gazumped!

Put in a very low offer on a house about a month ago and offer was accepted. House had been on the market for ages (it has no garage, which seems to disgust about 99% of house buyers these days). Got a call today saying we've been gazumped by someone offering 'very close to the asking price'. All I can say is, suckerrrz.

I mean, we liked the place. It has very, very nice open views across the hills. But there's no way it was worth the asking price. Except... it obviously was because someone's willing to pay it.

Still, no harm done. It had several cons which I'd started worrying about and can forget now.

Property market... booming.

Super poster

jmo21 is NOT a disguised employee

How much more have they agreed to pay?

My post count is Majestic

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by dang65 View Post
    Put in a very low offer on a house about a month ago and offer was accepted. House had been on the market for ages (it has no garage, which seems to disgust about 99% of house buyers these days). Got a call today saying we've been gazumped by someone offering 'very close to the asking price'. All I can say is, suckerrrz.

I mean, we liked the place. It has very, very nice open views across the hills. But there's no way it was worth the asking price. Except... it obviously was because someone's willing to pay it.

Still, no harm done. It had several cons which I'd started worrying about and can forget now.

Did you say. "Oh that's OK, we were a bit worried after we'd found out about the murder in the field behind and dry rot. You'd better pass that on BTW'
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Gazump the gazumper with an asking price + 5% offer. Then drag it out as long as you can. Then gazunder the vendor with your original offer - a 2% convenience charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Gazump the gazumper with an asking price + 5% offer. Then drag it out as long as you can. Then gazunder the vendor with your original offer - a 2% convenience charge.
    WHS.
    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

dang65 has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    How much more have they agreed to pay?
    Oh, at least 25k more than us. We really took the piss, to be honest.

As for revenge, our policy is just to walk away and leave it to fate and not go back. We've had this situation before and had sellers trying to get us back because the higher offer has fallen through. That's plenty schadenfreude for me, just to say, "Oh dear, what a shame, oh dear, oh dear. NO! Bye."

Banned

TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced

Oh, at least 25k more than us. We really took the piss, to be honest.

As for revenge, our policy is just to walk away and leave it to fate and not go back. We've had this situation before and had sellers trying to get us back because the higher offer has fallen through. That's plenty schadenfreude for me, just to say, "Oh dear, what a shame, oh dear, oh dear. NO! Bye."

Suitably philosophical and appropriate response. Well played

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

Offer more than that offer, add a lick of paint, install a new bathroom and sell for 40% more. Profit ! There are millions to be made in brick and mortar.

Freamon is too good to be a permie

I compute a 95% probability that the estate agent is lying to you.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Super poster

wobbegong is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Freamon View Post
    I compute a 95% probability that the estate agent is lying to you.
    Absolutely, WFS! Tell him to shove it.