• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents....do your own bloody work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Does anyone else get agents phone them up to ask what salary a job should be.

I had one last week phone me up with a brief job spec for a permie role, told me the location, told him i'm not interested, etc, and then was quizzing me about what salary he should be advertising the role for. It's not the first time either - happens probably once every couple of months.

I did give him a rough estimate, being the polite chap I am.

Does anyone else get these cheeky beggars using you as free consultancy.
    One could argue he is doing his job.

You can work with agents or against them, but they are still part of our industry.

There are good agents, and others you feel like kicking up the arse. Just like contractors, although none in present company I hasten to add.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      What is an Internet?
      It's what a trainee did at lunchtime.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        One could argue he is doing his job.

You can work with agents or against them, but they are still part of our industry.

There are good agents, and others you feel like kicking up the arse. Just like contractors, although none in present company I hasten to add.
        Agreed, I must say i've had it 50/50. I have had some good agents....shhh, don't tell anyone.

But the current/ almost ex agent has these little sticking out ears (a bit troll like, although he has brilliant white teeth and plenty of hair gel so definately not a troll)....and I just can't help wanting to pull them off his head - this of course has some history behind it.

Next contract is a bit different....an agent put me forward for the role but billing is direct, so he will get the equivilent of a finders fee, and I must say he's been great, no hassle, no worries, not trying to screw me on margin and put me forward at a very respectable rate. Landed the role, client are willing to wait, all parties happy.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I keep getting the cheeky feckers asking me if I know anyone who might want their jobs. That is completely arse about face IMO.

Perhaps I should open my own brothel^H^H^H^H^H^H^H agency.
          I think it's fairly valid to be asked by an agent if I might know anyone else who does what I do; albeit not as well as me, obvs.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I think it's fairly valid to be asked by an agent if I might know anyone else who does what I do; albeit not as well as me, obvs.
            Equally valid to tell them that anyone you would personally recommend is currently in contract for a better rate than they are offering.

I do have some particularly "niche" technical skills though, there hasn't been great demand in the last few years so hopefully this is a sign of an upturn.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              Had an agent phone me up asking if I had experience in a certain MS Technology. I said no, they asked if I knew anything about the technology. To which I said no. I think they believe the internet is dead.
              People who'd rather talk to humans than look at the internet. Weirdos.

Comment

[QUOTE=doodab;1299534]Equally valid to tell them that anyone you would personally recommend is currently in contract for a better rate than they are offering.

[QUOTE]

Well yes, that's usually my response.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                  I did give him a rough estimate, being the polite chap I am.
                  Somewhere between £15k and £150k is the usual ball park I recommend to agencies. They always seem to appreciate it.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    What is an Internet?
                    It's a care in the community scheme to keep nerds at home.

No..wait..
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

My agent forgot to tell me my contract was being renewed, and HR on client site hadn't told anyone on site either.

Over two months after agency got client co to sign a new contract I got a renewal contract to sign

They can be a right PITA sometimes, well I say sometimes...
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X