• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobsworths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    problem is with lynch-pin staff like that is I'm afraid to upset them in case they make things difficult for me in the future, peoples in roles I tend to be nice to are receptionists, security guards, payroll, expenses, waiters, bouncers, traffic coppers, IT Depts - anyone who may possibly abuse what little power they have

i think if it was to do with kids I probably would be the same as you but otherwise would have just bottled the rage up inside me
    Oh no. No - you need to show these little Hitler's that you mean business. I am in the process of making an official complaint about it actually, but mainly cos it was so serious. I'd normally be happy just to verbally tear her a new bottom hole.

I've changed docs now because obviously I'm too scared to go back.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Oh no. No - you need to show these little Hitler's that you mean business. I am in the process of making an official complaint about it actually, but mainly cos it was so serious. I'd normally be happy just to verbally tear her a new bottom hole.

Cripes there are some dodgy Doctors surgeries round here
      i have to say, mine is great and the receptionists are very good.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I've changed docs now because obviously I'm too scared to go back
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

that made me laugh out loud, agreed there's no messing around when it comes to kids (luckily I don't have any)
          sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Yep - I don't see why I should have to tell the receptionist what is wrong with me in order to see the doctor. I won't do it any more - when they ask what's wrong with me I tell them I'll happily discuss it with a medically qualified person.
            Having worked in 60+ surgeries over 5 years, and knowing the staff in each surgery on a first name basis, I hope I can offer some genuine insight in to some of the comments made in this thread.

1. Receptionists ask what is wrong with you, not because they are nosey, but because each day a surgery only has a limited amount of slots to offer patients. Surgeries have finite resources and GP's / rooms, and demand always outstrips supply. Hence, the need to prioritise slots and offer them to the most needy.

Whilst a receptionist is not a trained medical practitioner, they do have working knowledge of what to look out for, and will prioritise accordingly. To do that, they need to ask. Believe me, no one likes to be awkward on purpose, and get shouted at by rude patients, but there are reasons for asking as explained previously.

2. Rightly or wrongly, the "patient and GP consulting time" has been dropping for years, again to meet the needs of demands. Hence, a typical consultation is expected to last no more than 8 minutes, and should involve one medical problem.

Unfortunately, the reasons a lot of appointments over run, and you can be 30-40 minutes behind schedule is that patient A goes in with a list of complaints, patient B does the same, patient C has a single complaint, patient D has saved up 4 complaints, and it just cascades out of hand for the rest of that surgery.

3. DNA's (Did Not Attend). Every surgery suffers from DNA's, where a patient books an appointment, then does not show for the appointment, essentially wasting the time of the GP and denying the appointment to someone who would have attended. To give you an indication of how endemic this is, one of my surgeries posts monthly DNA's in the waiting room. They have 6 GP's and have about 200 appointments a day in total, or 1000 a week or 4400 a month.
            Here are the figures again, but with DNA's in ( )

200 day (40-60), or 1000 (200-300) a week or 4400 (880 - 1320)

One month I saw the DNA monthly total at 1750

I believe these figures would be even higher if the receptionists did not ask people what their medical complaint was.

You'd be surprised the amount of "worried well" that exist out there, and just want a chat and some reassurance that everything is ok, and get themselves all worked up that they need a doctor's appointment and they must have it NOW, and that it is Really Important.

Sure, some are, and where kiddies are involved, extra care needs to be taken, but there are still some patients who abuse the system, treat the staff like 5hit, and expect the Dr. to appear when they click their fingers. These ones can ruin things for others.

4. Next time you ring your surgery, spare a thought for the receptionist, who's already been shouted at, abused, argued with and treated like a senile old bat. She's undoubtedly had only a few days training (if at all) on the new booking system that went in last week, probably never had any general training at all on the overall computer system (like how to turn it on, as Practice Manager's often do that for their staff and doctors), get's paid just above nat min wage, and might have to deal with arrogant doctors in to the bargain. She's probably also nearing retirement age herself, and has her own medical problems.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and shout at her, because she's only being awkward for the fun of it, right ?
            Last edited by Board Game Geek; 16 March 2011, 23:35.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Quite a lot of pretty well argued stuff
              ..... you are of course right in much of what you say BUT:
              I try pretty hard not to bother Doctors with trivial stuff and generally don't go to a surgery more than once every couple of years.
              Added to the standard contractor aversion to losing money this means that when I attempt to go to a Doctors it is because if I am not, strictly speaking, approaching deaths door I am at the very least bloody ill. After all my effort to not waste this scarce resource I do think I deserve better than having to run the gauntlet of interference and blocking described above plus, once finally through these defences, I should warant a bit more than a cursary prod and be ushered out of the door within 5.74 minutes!
              Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
              Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                ..... you are of course right in much of what you say BUT:
                I try pretty hard not to bother Doctors with trivial stuff and generally don't go to a surgery more than once every couple of years.

Added to the standard contractor aversion to losing money this means that when I attempt to go to a Doctors it is because if I am not, strictly speaking, approaching deaths door I am at the very least bloody ill.

After all my effort to not waste this scarce resource I do think I deserve better than having to run the gauntlet of interference and blocking described above plus, once finally through these defences, I should warant a bit more than a cursary prod and be ushered out of the door within 5.74 minutes!
                I appreciate your comment, but whilst you might have your own reasons for acting altruistically, not going for trivial reasons, etc, one thing you may not have considered is that the receptionist would not be aware of your selfless code.

Even if she could be made aware, she's not going to show favourtism because of your self-imposed self-sacrifice.

If you want deference and sycophants, book in to a Harley Street private practice.

As you say yourself, as you've avoided the docs for so long to save money, surely you can afford extra care and attention more suitable to your personal needs ?

I don't really feel you are in a claimable position to expect enhanced personally-tailored services from the National Health Service which strives to be equal for all.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

My old mum was the local sister at her surgery. I used to wait in reception day after day after school, talking to the reception staff and waiting for her to finish and take me home.

Never really noticed waiting in the doctors surgery. It's never on time, never. But as BGG says, it always runs over and if you treat them with respect then they're more likely to help.

If someone was properly ill/hurt , I'd go to A&E anyway. Wouldn't even bother with the doctors.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    My old mum was the local sister at her surgery. I used to wait in reception day after day after school, talking to the reception staff and waiting for her to finish and take me home.

Never really noticed waiting in the doctors surgery. It's never on time, never. But as BGG says, it always runs over and if you treat them with respect then they're more likely to help.

If someone was properly ill/hurt , I'd go to A&E anyway. Wouldn't even bother with the doctors.
                    Indeed !

I did walk in to one site, after they had closed for lunch, where they were mopping the tiled floor in the waiting room, which was awash with blood.

I asked what had happened.

Apparently an elderly lady in her 70's had come in, made an appointment to see the next doctor when one was free and took a seat, reading the well-thumbed surgery copy of "People's Friend".

After 10 mins, a fellow patient who was waiting, got up and informed the reception there was a problem.

The receptionist went over to the lady, and noticing the ever-spreading pool of blood coming from a plastic carrier bag wrapped over her foot (which the receptionist would not have seen when the lady came in originally due to the counter height), asked what the problem was.

Elderly Lady : "Oh, I don't want to make a fuss, dear. I was in the kitchen and dropped a carving knive on to my foot, and it went through my slipper. I pulled it out, popped my foot in a plastic bag, and walked down to the surgery. Is the doctor ready now, dear ?"

The receptionist got her straight in to see the nurse who was free at the time, and yes, she'd sliced one of the main arteries and was bleeding to death. The surgery quickly stabilised the wound then called for an ambulance.

I must admit, I thought the place had seen a murder when I walked in. It was drenched.

The old lady survived and last I heard, was doing fine. She wasn't batty at all. Just stoic and stubborn and from a "different age" when one didn't make a fuss.
                    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 17 March 2011, 01:37.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      But hey, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and shout at her, because she's only being awkward for the fun of it, right ?
                      I don't believe I said I shout at the receptionist. I simply tell her that I'm happy to discuss what's wrong with me with a medical person. Last time she got the nurse to call me (who then made an appointment). No problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X