• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobsworths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I don't believe I said I shout at the receptionist. I simply tell her that I'm happy to discuss what's wrong with me with a medical person. Last time she got the nurse to call me (who then made an appointment). No problem.
    Sorry, I should have phrased that better to say, "If it makes people feel better". I didn't intend to single you out in particular.

However, I will stand by my comment that there really is no harm in answering the question from the receptionist, as he/or she is part of the medical team at the surgery, and will have received training on the job to decide how urgent the request is and slot you in appropriately.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Sorry, I should have phrased that better to say, "If it makes people feel better". I didn't intend to single you out in particular.

However, I will stand by my comment that there really is no harm in answering the question from the receptionist, as he/or she is part of the medical team at the surgery, and will have received training on the job to decide how urgent the request is and slot you in appropriately.
      Really? And what medical qualifications is the receptionist required to have?

Comment

I think we can all appreciate why the question is probably being asked.

What I don't appreciate, is the tone in which I'm spoken to from the moment the phone is picked up - if it is at all. None of the things listed in your post above justify the difficulty I've encountered in several surgeries in my area.

I understand they may have had a difficult day, but that's frankly not my problem.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Best place I've found for doctors is Singapore. You just turn up at the clinic and they see you there and then, although you might have to wait for a while during busy periods.
          Costs about £10 + the cost of whatever drugs they prescribe, which are given to you by the receptionist on the way out.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

What I don't appreciate, is the tone in which I'm spoken to from the moment the phone is picked up .
            Was is condescending? Was it? Was it? Little bit condenscending? Talking down to you? Making you think you're stupid? Was it? Was it? Like you're a bit thick.

What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I think we can all appreciate why the question is probably being asked.

What I don't appreciate, is the tone in which I'm spoken to from the moment the phone is picked up - if it is at all. None of the things listed in your post above justify the difficulty I've encountered in several surgeries in my area.

I understand they may have had a difficult day, but that's frankly not my problem.
              WSS

I also don't appreciate they way they gossip amongst themselves about patients.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Really? And what medical qualifications is the receptionist required to have?
                Team as in "part of the team", in the same way that airline stewards are part of the flight team. They may not be pilots, but they are part of the team involved in the transportation of passengers.

A receptionist will generally know enough about the condition to offer a suitable appointment, based on what the patient tells them at the time of the booking, (provided the patient isn't being awkward).

I have seen in situations where the receptionist is unsure, they ask the patient to hold, and they call the nurse or a doc, for appointment advice.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  WSS

I also don't appreciate they way they gossip amongst themselves about patients.
                  Newsflash !

People, regardless of job, position, race, creed, whatever, gossip about people. It's not limited to a surgery. Doctors gossip in the staff room, over their tea and biscuits. I've been there fixing a PC and heard them. What I have never heard is malicious gossip. General gossip, yes. Medical gossip, yes.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Newsflash !

People, regardless of job, position, race, creed, whatever, gossip about people. It's not limited to a surgery. Doctors gossip in the staff room, over their tea and biscuits. I've been there fixing a PC and heard them. What I have never heard is malicious gossip. General gossip, yes. Medical gossip, yes.
                    Now, BGG. I do not need your newsflash to tell me that people gossip.

It is the fact that they gossip loudly in earshot of the full waiting room.

I like the fact that you have come into contact with some nice receptionists that are good at what they do. It gives me hope that one day, I may encounter such a rareity.

However, given that the majority of posters on this thread, myself included, have had bad experiences I think you are being more than a little condescending in your tone and opinion of how we approach a phone call with a surgery receptionist. I'd bet everyone of us has made the call with a polite disposition only to be confronted with an angry old battleaxe with a grudge to bear. And like MP said, frankly it's not my problem.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Team as in "part of the team", in the same way that airline stewards are part of the flight team. They may not be pilots, but they are part of the team involved in the transportation of passengers.

A receptionist will generally know enough about the condition to offer a suitable appointment, based on what the patient tells them at the time of the booking, (provided the patient isn't being awkward).

I have seen in situations where the receptionist is unsure, they ask the patient to hold, and they call the nurse or a doc, for appointment advice.
                      do we really need airlines stewardesses on short flights, I know how to vacate a plane and wont eat the food (if there is any)

I agree that it is often the manner in which you are spoken to- apparently I should have been well aware of how my new surgery operates despite only having just joined- well that's the impression I got from the receptionist

'who are you Stevie Wonder? well stop ******' rolling your eyes at me then!'

the receptionists as my dentist are great
                      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                      X