• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The moaning about council tax thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The moaning about council tax thread.

Band G.

Please cough up £2529.69.

I'd take the money in person if there was no risk of my car falling down a 5 foot deep pothole and some of the street lamps worked.

Overpaid council s

They have to get the money to pay mortgage deposits from somewhere.

Comment

Pay 2529.70 so they'll have to go through all the processes to reimburse you 1p. I do that with traffic fines. Microseconds of fun.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Pay 2529.70 so they'll have to go through all the processes to reimburse you 1p. I do that with traffic fines. Microseconds of fun.
        I did that with the water board once. When buying a house the vendor and I worked out that he owed me about 2 days' worth if I simply paid his current bill myself.

The water board wasn't having any of that, raised an invoice for him, and sent me a cheque for the difference.

I took great joy in conducting my correspondence with them on my shiny new word processor thing which looked 10 times better than their efforts
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Band G.

Please cough up £2529.69.

I'd take the money in person if there was no risk of my car falling down a 5 foot deep pothole and some of the street lamps worked.

Overpaid council s
          I've no idea what our council tax is, my hubby is a top notch IT contractor who earns a bundle, he pays it.

Mrs MF
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've just remembered. The rateable value on that house was a princely 60 quid.

I think that worked out at £180 a year.

Before they split out the water rates into a separate bill.

The rates were cheaper than the much smaller 2 bed bungalow I'd had previously.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Band G. Please cough up £2529.69.
              I'd take the money in person if there was no risk of my car falling down a 5 foot deep pothole and some of the street lamps worked. Overpaid council s
              Clearly they need that tax since you got potholes on your road and street lamps don't work?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Clearly they need that tax since you got potholes on your road and street lamps don't work?
                Yes but they won't spend it on it. They need it for the social services, local government pensions, education and refuse services.

Potholes and street lamps will only get fixed either when they have fined enough motorists (if your council controls it's own parking services) or when enough people ask them for compensation for accidents.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Don't get me started on Council Tax!

£2000 a year, and all I can see that I get for that is my bin emptied once a fortnight

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                    £2000 a year, and all I can see that I get for that is my bin emptied once a fortnight
                    You also get your diversity coordinated, your equality advised, and your carbon reduction officered.

HTH
                    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X