• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh great - another war

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Have you actually read the links? In particular the second one, which quotes the text of the UN resolution?
    Yes, it's pretty clear resolution: "to take all necessary measures" to "to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack" - that means taking out all military assets all around the country, and most importantly mad dog himself as well as his clique.

Reports are that Saudi Arabia are joining in - that's First Iraq War all over again - just usage of force backed by UN. The most important thing now is to make sure mad dog is dealt with fully - not leaving any chances that may cause another war there.

Comment

Have you actually read the links? In particular the second one, which quotes the text of the UN resolution?
      You mean the bit that included this? "while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory"

Yes I did. And I was able to comprehend the thrust of its meaning too. How far did you get before you got hopelessly lost?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        You mean the bit that included this? "while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory"

Yes I did. And I was able to comprehend the thrust of its meaning too. How far did you get before you got hopelessly lost?

I suggest you read up on the legal definition of "occupation force" (or just read the second article more carefully). You will discover that it doesn't preclude the use of ground troops.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I suggest you read up on the legal definition of "occupation force" (or just read the second article more carefully). You will discover that it doesn't preclude the use of ground troops.
          The legal definition that Mr Gaddafi should be pondeing now is not "occupation force", but "war crimes" - he's got a case to answer me thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            The legal definition that Mr Gaddafi should be pondeing now is not "occupation force", but "war crimes" - he's got a case to answer me thinking.
            Really?

Gaddafi is a war criminal for
            mobilising troops against civilians but under George Bush/Blair 100s of 1000 civilians have been bombed & killed by Us and Uk forces but that's Ok as that's collateral damage.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

oooh we love a good war don't we?

Except that as there is no mandate for regime change there is no end game. Gadaffi plays cat and mouse for a few years until someone decides this isn't working and we need to invade.

All this paid for by our austerity measures - great. Jobs lost, libraries closed, police (and strangely, armed forces) are sacked, essentially to pay for another doomed mission to secure some cheap oil and make us feel important.

Of course will the rebels thank us, or turn against us for launching a crusade on another muslim country?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

That doesn't exclude paying of his mercenaries to switch sides, or sending an army of mercenries in, as they wouldn't be an occupation force as Libya already has them
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                  there is no mandate for regime change
                  Helping the rebels under the pretence of protecting the civilians seems like encouraging a regime change to me.

Not sure why the UN is so up for it though. Influence by the arab nations who want Gadafi out for some reason?

Isn't this basically a civil war?

Did I miss the UN sanctioning military action against Mugabe and all the other dictators who have brought their countries to their knees and now rely on international aid?

Is this still about oil?

Is it safe to go on a mediterranean holiday while it's all kicking off?
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Gaddafi is a war criminal for mobilising troops against civilians but under George Bush/Blair 100s of 1000 civilians have been bombed & killed by Us and Uk forces but that's Ok as that's collateral damage.
                    Yes - forces have to break specific rules of war in order to become war criminals, in mad dog's case he used artyllery against civilians (there was no foreign army there), see Serbia's precedent: it's more or less exactly the same case, only there is actually a UN resolution in this case which is very good. One can only wonder what bribes the West offered to Russia in order to avoid veto.

Comment

I agree with the general thrust of this campaign, Gadaffi is an evil mad man, although I must admit that I do wonder why we (the UN) do not do something about the world's other tyrants.

I can't see that this will be much more expensive will it? We are only part of the action, and apart from the cost of the bombs and fuel, I would guess that our pilots/sailors would be training and taking part on exercises anyway?

Then again I am not a military expert!
                      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                      X