• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Either this
    I missed these:

In 1999 a Dalek appeared on a postage stamp celebrating British popular culture, photographed by Lord Snowdon.
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    or this
    That's the same link.

When I was a nipper one of the big shops in town had some Daleks that a kid could get into. I think they were too pricy for my modest budget.

A schoolmate had a Daleks annual, complete with diagrams of how they were made. One of a gold Emperor Dalek too.

I always thought the creatures themselves were rather weedy and squid like. Or am I thinking of Martians here?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      I always thought the creatures themselves were rather weedy and squid like. Or am I thinking of Martians here?
      I think the idea was that their race had shrivelled into weedy slimy things (either due to disease or some genetic trait, can't remember) which was why Davros had created the mechanical devices for them to continue getting around and conquering the Universe in. They were lucky they didn't have Clive Sinclair on the job

(This is why the slime-mould-controlled robot in the article that inspired this thread is equated with a Dalek. It wouldn't really make any sense otherwise.)

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        What's inside a dalek?

I have a very hazy recollection (very long time ago) of watching a very early episode of Dr Who (quite possibly in black and white!!) during which they were manufacturing daleks, and were stuffing them full of what looked like dead rabbits. Maybe I imagined it all, but it has lodged in the old memory banks for some inexplicable reason. Any of the other 50-somethings remember that one? If it was not William Hartnell, it can't have been long after his time.
        How very strange - because back in 1966ish as a 6 yo at school I remember not only that episode with the manufactuing of the Dalelks - at school we played a game reflecting that sequence with a row of kids posing as Daleks in a line - as they passed someone would slap their heads - this was an attempt to emulate putting the dalke body into their case ... amazxng what we store in the old memory bank SB !

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I think the idea was that their race had shrivelled into weedy slimy things (either due to disease or some genetic trait, can't remember) which was why Davros had created the mechanical devices for them to continue getting around and conquering the Universe in. They were lucky they didn't have Clive Sinclair on the job

(This is why the slime-mould-controlled robot in the article that inspired this thread is equated with a Dalek. It wouldn't really make any sense otherwise.)
          Radiation poisoning after a 1000 year war. Davros then created his new Dalek race from the remains of the Skaro Kaled race(hence Dalek = Kaled).
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Radiation poisoning after a 1000 year war. Davros then created his new Dalek race from the remains of the Skaro Kaled race(hence Dalek = Kaled).
            Although in the original story in the Sixties it was a short war, they were descendants of the Dals, and there was no mention of Davros.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Although in the original story in the Sixties it was a short war, they were descendants of the Dals, and there was no mention of Davros.
              You always get the appearance of the puppets first, the master always appears later. Now where's my CUK login list?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

"Physarum is a popular model-organism in unconventional computing. It processes information from its environment in a distributed fashion that is not yet well understood."

Hmmm........... undoubtedly a Microsoft product.

Comment

Rotersand : "Exterminate Annihilate Destroy"

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                  X