• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help about agents please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help about agents please

Hello all, hoping for some information.

Re: contracting through agents. Does anyone know if agents have a blacklist? For example, if five years ago you were offered a job but turned it down just pre-agreement stage, could you still be on some list that means agents will lead you on and never actually come up with anything??!!

Haven't had to work through an agent for years - always repeat business, but whenever looking for work, the agents in the last five years have come up with nothing; they keep you talking for ages and pump you for information about everyone you've worked for, then find some reason why they don't QUITE think you match the job even if it seems a perfect match..... Or they never call back......... Or they say they'll put your cv forward and then never take another call from you.......

Maybe that's just how agents behave now?? (They didn't in the past when I worked through them) Just feeling a bit paranoid that I've been blacklisted!
    yes
    20.00%
    no
    80.00%

Originally posted by zmp

Re: contracting through agents. Does anyone know if agents have a blacklist? For example, if five years ago you were offered a job but turned it down just pre-agreement stage, could you still be on some list that means agents will lead you on and never actually come up with anything??!!
    Some will threaten to put you on a blacklist but I doubt it exists, it is just a cruel trick to get someone gullible enough to be bullied into a contract they don't want. You can rest assurred that if there is money to be made they would not care about the past.

Haven't had to work through an agent for years - always repeat business, but whenever looking for work, the agents in the last five years have come up with nothing; they keep you talking for ages and pump you for information about everyone you've worked for, then find some reason why they don't QUITE think you match the job even if it seems a perfect match..... Or they never call back......... Or they say they'll put your cv forward and then never take another call from you.......
    I don't give any info unless its relevant to the contract I'm applying for - if I'm right for the gig they would not miss out on the chance of commision because I did not give them any sales leads. Somebody who has a real contract will concentrate on trying to put you forward first.

Maybe that's just how agents behave now?? (They didn't in the past when I worked through them) Just feeling a bit paranoid that I've been blacklisted!
    I've actually been part of taking legal action against agents I do a bit of PI and debt collecting on the side - and they still try and get me to contract via them so don't worry about any blacklist. If you are on someones blacklist then they are probably someone that you do not want to work for.

Most recruiters will treat you fairly but unfortunately you have to always tread carefully so you don't get caught out by the ones that don't. Over the years I have built up a list of those I trust and those I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by zmp

The idea of a black list suggests a degree of organisation and cooperative behaviour that is beyond most agents I've met. And anyway, if one agent black listed someone, why would another agent trust the black listing?

All they care about is making money by selling your carcass to a client.

I've not come across the pumping for information business. Usually they try to pursuade me to go for a job that does not interest me. When I say no, they get the hard sell person to ring me.

Comment

I am black listed by one agency, however they keep forgetting an phone me up with contract leads.
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
          I am black listed by one agency, however they keep forgetting an phone me up with contract leads.
          CSI? I'm apparently on their blacklist but they still call me.

I'd never use that shower of tulipe again.
          Discuss PDA/Smartphones
          Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Aye. This blacklist. Is it cos you is black, innit?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Agents are salesman, their relationship is with their margin, they aim to "always be closing", no matter how many you squash another will crawl out from somewhere.

This is all you need to know.

Comment

So who trusts agents?

Be named and shamed.

Would those people trust Berlusconi too?
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

All that behaviour is par for the course. I don't reckon it's anything to do with any blacklist.

Comment

I trust my friends,
                    I trust my family.

agents are neither. they have to earn it.
                    Plan A is located just about here.
                    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                    X