• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollars are so yesterday - Euros are the future (after Bitcoin that is....).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Dollars are so yesterday - Euros are the future (after Bitcoin that is....).
      People who say that usually got neither...

Comment

Massive spot gold correction on the cards.

Stochastic just crossed down on the monthly chart, weakening strength in the face of increasing price. Bearish divergence I think it's called.

No one will be spared. Not even the children.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Stochastic just crossed down on the monthly chart, weakening strength in the face of increasing price. Bearish divergence I think it's called.

I've got to quote this tulip for posterity!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            I've got to quote this tulip for posterity!
            I've got to quote this tulip for

Comment

So **** all to do with any world matters, economy, markets and so on? Just some patterns on a chart?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So **** all to do with any world matters, economy, markets and so on? Just some patterns on a chart?
                It's not uncommon for the technicals to drive the fundamentals. People assume that the charts are just a visual representation of market sentiment, but a lot of the time things like interest rates decisions and central bank interventions are done to try and curb speculative trends and bubbles.

Soros (love him or hate him - he's very good at this type of stuff and has results to show for it) wrote quite an interesting theory on reflexivity all about this:

Reflexivity theory states that investors don't base their decisions on reality but their perceptions of reality. The actions that result from these perceptions have an impact on reality, or fundamentals, which then affects investors' perceptions and thus prices. The process is self-reinforcing and tends toward disequilibrium, causing prices to become increasingly detached from reality.
                This is why technical traders like trends and methods like Elliot Wave have stuck around so long.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  That's what the price of 'spot gold' is telling us.

Considering the state of the world economy, the debt, continuing uncertainty, you'd think the price of gold would have shot up.

Comment

WTF does that even mean?
                    Is it going to go up or down?
                    Should I buy or sell?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                      It's not uncommon for the technicals to drive the fundamentals. People assume that the charts are just a visual representation of market sentiment, but a lot of the time things like interest rates decisions and central bank interventions are done to try and curb speculative trends and bubbles.

Soros (love him or hate him - he's very good at this type of stuff and has results to show for it) wrote quite an interesting theory on reflexivity all about this:

This is why technical traders like trends and methods like Elliot Wave have stuck around so long.
                      And to some extent I can understand all that but Scoots posts charts about Gold, Bitcoin, Shares. Each as a very different animal, one is a fundamental base of monetary systems (arguable I know but you get my drift), the other doesn't even exist and the last is tied to how a business performs and market conditions.
                      I just cannot get how the same techniques can possibly work across all three with so many different factors that drive highs and lows. It doesn't make sense so unfortunately easy for people like me to just dismiss it as a complete sham. I could understand if it worked for bitcoin as it doesn't exist so you can use charts to predict how people react to previous movements as there are no other tangible factors affecting the price. Maybe so for business to an extent due to people selling high, buying low with the actual business performance and market conditions only being a factors but gold is such a slow burner and affected by much bigger things how can standard technical analysis work?

Maybe it does really work but having a skin full of Scoots and his utter nonsense missing the mark by a mile multiple times has jaded my view.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X