• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call me Dave just emailed me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me Dave just emailed me

Dear Dim,

Today is a big day for our country. It's AV referendum day and you need to make your voice heard. Unless enough people go out and vote, Britain could sleepwalk into a system that damages our democracy permanently. So I urge you to get down the polling station and vote 'No' to AV.

Remember, there are five big reasons why:

One - AV is complex. First Past the Post is so simple you can sum it up in seven words: the person with the most votes wins. AV is so confusing that when I was recently interviewed on the BBC, it became clear that one of their most experienced broadcasters didn't understand how it worked.

Two - AV is unfair. With First Past the Post, everyone gets one vote, and that vote is counted once. That's fair. But under AV, supporters of extremist or fringe parties can get their votes counted again and again and again. That's unfair. It's simply not right that the fifth vote of a Monster Raving Looney supporter counts as much as your first vote.

Three - AV takes power away from people and gives it to politicians. The great thing about our current system is that it always lets you kick dead-duck governments out on their ear. Remember 1979? Remember last year? Under AV, that sort of people power would be much less likely. It would mean more grey areas in election results, and more opportunities for tired politicians to cling on to power long after their time. Just think - if we'd had AV last year, Gordon Brown could still be in Downing Street today.

Four - AV is costly. Money is tight at the moment, so why get rid of a system that is cheap to administer for one that will inevitably cost more and bring loads more bureaucracy? I know, you know, that our money could be better spent on other things.

Five - AV is unpopular. First Past the Post is used by half the planet, from the world's biggest democracy - India - to the world's most powerful democracy - America. AV is used in just three countries: Australia, Fiji and Papua New Guinea. And in Australia, they want to get rid of it.

Let the final word go to our greatest ever Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. He described AV as "the stupidest, the least scientific and the most unreal" voting system. He said it would mean elections are "determined by the most worthless votes given for the most worthless candidates". He's right. The campaigners for AV are wrong. So I urge you all to get down to the polling station today and vote 'No'.

Yours sincerely,

David Cameron

He sends me Christmas cards as well, but he forgot my birthday, so I'm not talking to him at the moment.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The great thing about our current system is that it always lets you kick dead-duck governments out on their ear. Remember 1979? Remember last year?
    Really Dave, you want to use the last election as an example of FPTP's strength?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      D Just think - if we'd had AV last year, Gordon Brown could still be in Downing Street today.
      And things would be different in what way Dave?

Comment

I always knew Dim was a person of influence. This just proves it.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          WHS.

Comment

I detected the word fair in that piece and immediately thought of the previous bunch of criminals.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as the Germans would say.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Either that or he is too stupid to use spam filters...

Comment

Working...
              X