• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perfect Edging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect Edging

Just edged up my shrubbery.

In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.

Comment

I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.
        I've just lost the will to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          You can fill the pipe with sand I suppose.

I have a bag of lead shot that I use for this purpose. Can be procured from most anglers' suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time
            How do you cope with the dividing by 0 error?

Comment

Flat spline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

A long hose full of water is good for vertical alignment of things at opposite end of the garden too.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You could use a laser level Black & Decker BDL120-XJ Manual Laser Line Level
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X