Perfect Edging Perfect Edging
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Perfect Edging

  1. #1

    Banned

    pacharan has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,524

    Default Perfect Edging

    Just edged up my shrubbery.

    In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

    Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

    Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    25,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacharan View Post
    Just edged up my shrubbery.

    In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

    Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

    Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.
    How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

    Spacecadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    12,413

    Default

    I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time
    Coffee's for closers

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Moose423956 is a permanent contractor

    Moose423956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacharan View Post
    Just edged up my shrubbery.

    In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

    Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

    Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.
    I've just lost the will to live.

  5. #5

    Banned

    pacharan has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.
    You can fill the pipe with sand I suppose.

    I have a bag of lead shot that I use for this purpose. Can be procured from most anglers' suppliers.

  6. #6

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    25,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time
    How do you cope with the dividing by 0 error?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    49,299

  8. #8

    Banned

    pacharan has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Interesting.

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,758

    Default

    A long hose full of water is good for vertical alignment of things at opposite end of the garden too.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacharan View Post
    Just edged up my shrubbery.

    In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

    Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

    Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.
    You could use a laser level Black & Decker BDL120-XJ Manual Laser Line Level
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

    我们不是病毒

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •