• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates Are Depressing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You can fly to Eastern Europe and get a good quality surgeon dirt cheap. Nothing´s safe not even heart surgery.
    Of fly to India and get it for plenty cheapness, and Bobs your uncle
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

"Role/Culture: If you played Star Trek as a kid, you would have been Dr Spock, every time" ..
      To take on all that for £30K you'd have to be a tribble.

(unless it was a stepping stone for bigger and better things elsewhere)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've just started a new job on the best rate I've ever been on. However that could mean:

All my previous rates were crap

Bobs aren't yet into what I do

Comment

Rates drop off a cliff when you leave London, so I'm not sure what you can expect to earn in some small farming town like Ipswitch. £300 does not sound too bad in fact!

Anyhow I'm not sure why they'd need Java developers out there. I thought it was all combine harvesters and cider.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Rates drop off a cliff when you leave London, so I'm not sure what you can expect to earn in some small farming town like Ipswitch. £300 does not sound too bad in fact! .
            Rates rocket when you reach the continent.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
              I am working on my own software projects in my spare time, you got to be working on a plan B as there is going to be bugger all left in 5 to 10 years.
              Weren't we saying that in 2001?

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Rates drop off a cliff when you leave London, so I'm not sure what you can expect to earn in some small farming town like Ipswitch. £300 does not sound too bad in fact!
                WHS. Rates top out at about £400 in the more rural areas - anything more would be incredibly niche - and likely to be quite short term.

£300 seems about right for the area

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  WHS. Rates top out at about £400 in the more rural areas - anything more would be incredibly niche - and likely to be quite short term.

£300 seems about right for the area
                  So 550-600 that i have been getting for the last few years are unusual?

confused

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
                    Is that inc VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
                      Yes.

Very unusual for a rural area. Basically you've been overpaid for the market. Nice if you can get it - and well done for making it last for a few years. You might also be lucky/skillful enough to land another one at the rate. But it ain't the market rate for Ipswich.

Comment

Working...
                      X