• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective pension payments ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective pension payments ?

Hi,

Just got my end of year accounts with my calculated corp tax bill and I realised I forgot to pay anything into my pension for the year. Usually I get my company to put a few quid into my pension. Is it to late to do it now from the companies 2010-2011 tax year, is there any flexibility on this?

Cheers in advance for replies.

Steve
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

Originally posted by swebb View Post
    Hi,

Just got my end of year accounts with my calculated corp tax bill and I realised I forgot to pay anything into my pension for the year. Usually I get my company to put a few quid into my pension. Is it to late to do it now from the companies 2010-2011 tax year, is there any flexibility on this?

Steve
    Hello Steve

Your question will probably get more sensible responses if you post in 'Accounting'.

I don't know for sure, but I think if you had written a cheque from your company bank account to the pension provider dated before your year end, and it hadn't yet been cashed, I believe it would still fall into that year's accounts. Whether that's a feasible option probably depends how long ago your year end was.

Comment

Paying tax is better for the economy that paying into a pension.

Then next bank bailout will be grateful for your co-operation.

HTH

Comment

Hi,

Steve
        How the **** did you 'forget' to pay in to pension for a year? You run a business man. Make this kind of mistake and 'forget' to pay HMRC and you go to jail.

Either you are rubbish with finances or your lying and I know what my money is on.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 6 July 2011, 22:10.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          How the **** did you 'forget' to pay in to pension for a year? You run a business man. Make this kind of mistake and 'forget' to pay HMRC and you go to jail.

Either you are incompetant with finances or your lying and I know what my money is on.

Now time for my dumb question of the day....Does pension payments even affect your corp tax bill?
          Yes, paying into a pension reduces the profitability of your company, so the more you pay (yourself) as pension payments, the less tax your company pays.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Either you are rubbish with finances or your lying and I know what my money is on.
            Thanks for the response northern. Take two deaths in the family, working all hours away from home and all sorts of other issues and then see how easy it is to forget issues to do with finance!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              Hello Steve

Your question will probably get more sensible responses if you post in 'Accounting'.

I don't know for sure, but I think if you had written a cheque from your company bank account to the pension provider dated before your year end, and it hadn't yet been cashed, I believe it would still fall into that year's accounts. Whether that's a feasible option probably depends how long ago your year end was.
              Hi k2p2,

My year end was about 6 weeks ago, my accountant has just reminded me that I made no pension contributions. I usually pay twice during the year but with other matters in my life it kinda slipped to the back of the queue of things to do.

I know in years past as a permie I have paid money into my pension taking into account un-used payments from previous years but I'm unsure how I stand as a contractor with my business paying.

The cheque option sounds viable but I bet there is some clause or other stopping me from doing it. My accountant keeps stum about most matter pension/investment as it pulls him in FSA area's that he doesn't want to go to (I don't blame him).

Comment

The cheque option sounds viable but I bet there is some clause or other stopping me from doing it. My accountant keeps stum about most matter pension/investment as it pulls him in FSA area's that he doesn't want to go to (I don't blame him).
                Legally your payments should be made in the company year. No accountant will condone you doing otherwise as it's more than it's worth to them.

However everyone knows there is an issue where cheques are often cashed later than the date on them, which is why loads of people don't like writing cheques.

BTW next time someone posts an answer and you don't quite get the post go away and have think. No one gets upset if you don't reply almost immediately.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Legally your payments should be made in the company year. No accountant will condone you doing otherwise as it's more than it's worth to them.

However everyone knows there is an issue where cheques are often cashed later than the date on them, which is why loads of people don't like writing cheques.

BTW next time someone posts an answer and you don't quite get the post go away and have think. No one gets upset if you don't reply almost immediately.
                  Thanks for the response SueEllen. My pension company implied that a dated cheque is one way forward, my end of year accounts haven't been signed off yet so I'm going to look in to doing this. In future I think I'll do what I do with my ISA, but the money in as early as possible.

And yes I should have a think about things before replying

Comment

Hi,

Steve
                    You can do this. Possibly for more than one year but ask an accountant or someone.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X