• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Low maintenance sports/luxury cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes Benz SL.

About 15years old about £5k - £250 classic insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      Mercedes Benz SL.

About 15years old about £5k - £250 classic insurance.
      Maintenance costs?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Maintenance costs?
        Hmm, speaking from experience, happily not much goes wrong with mercedes as long as they're serviced; regular services cost perhaps 50% more than VWs. BUT, when something does go wrong, it costs and arm and a leg. Better to buy a newer (<5 yr old) mercedes with the full service, breakdown and insurance plan from the dealer; the Dutch mercedes dealers provide insurance against repairs for about 1 eurocent per km; they probably offer similar insurance in GB. OK, so maybe you have to accept a lower model to afford it, like a clk instead of an SL, but it'll be a lot less hassle.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I thought this was a good deal until I realised that the points were charged per day! i.e. a 911 for 120 points per day and not for the 4 days Mon-Thurs!

So it's a complete rip.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Maintenance costs?
            Not bad -

A merc speciallist (non dealer) is a key part to low maintenance £60 an hour and they usually know Dronsfields in Manchester is you don't want new parts. And very efficient with time.

I had to spend £500 this year on various parts that have perished or got dry. It is laid up for 9 months of the year - I unhook the battery and leave it 9 months later hook it back up and it starts first time - amazing really.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
              Not bad -

A merc speciallist (non dealer) is a key part to low maintenance £60 an hour and they usually know Dronsfields in Manchester is you don't want new parts. And very efficient with time.

I had to spend £500 this year on various parts that have perished or got dry. It is laid up for 9 months of the year - I unhook the battery and leave it 9 months later hook it back up and it starts first time - amazing really.
              I know Dronsfields, they used to have a place just outside Delph in Saddleworth iirc.

Comment

Never mind the 'Euroboxes', get some style . . .

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                  Ok so I have my eye on one of those cheap second hand Porsche Boxters... Or even an Aston Martin Vantage...

Are any 5-10 year old sports cars known to be cheaper to maintain than others? Or am I just submitting myself to a world of pain?
                  Reliant Scimitar SS1 1984-1995 | Buying Guide | Buying | octane

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    One of the Bosses here at Clientco has one of those, and a classic Porsche and a Ferrari and a Frogeye Sprite and a Bentley and a Range Rover...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Or a more efficient car?
                      Sports and Efficient another mismatch I feel.

If you want efficient don't buy a sports car, get a Prius.

But you'll never grin like you do when you are driving a car capable of 150+mph.

Horses for courses and all that.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X