• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I was promised that my contract is to be extended but hasn't yet so what to do now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
    Is your boss aware that you want a 30% increase?

It's one thing to keep working on basis of continuing Ts & Cs. Indeed if you show up that's the implied terms that you are working to.

Your boss may not be quite so keen if he hears you want another 30% (..though maybe that's coming form the agents cut?)

Insurance is a key issue where I work. Not allowed on site until renewal as been agreed.
    Of course he isn't. If a contractor tried that kind of bollocks on me I'd kick him out of the building. Matter of principle, init?

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
      Is your boss aware that you want a 30% increase?

It's one thing to keep working on basis of continuing Ts & Cs. Indeed if you show up that's the implied terms that you are working to.

Your boss may not be quite so keen if he hears you want another 30% (..though maybe that's coming form the agents cut?)

Insurance is a key issue where I work. Not allowed on site until renewal as been agreed.
      No, I asked for something around 30% rise; not dictating only 30% or I leave. And that will be cut from the agent's share mainly I guess. Remember 30% rate rise, means the client is to pay e.g. 15% rate rise or even less since the agency can cut their margin (I believe they charge the client for around £500-£550)

What I could do better was looking properly for another contract while waiting on the extension signed so that I could strengthen my position in the negotiation.

Now I only have a verbal promise, just a potential!
      Last edited by Dynamic; 26 August 2011, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
        No, I asked for something around 30% rise; not dictating only 30% or I leave. And that will be cut from the agent's share mainly I guess. Remember 30% rate rise, means the client is to pay e.g. 15% rate rise or even less since the agency can cut their margin (I believe they charge the client for around £500-£550)

What I could do better was looking properly for another contract while waiting on the extension answer so that I can strengthen my position in the negotiation as well.
        What are you going to do if the 30% hike isn't acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          What are you going to do if the 30% hike isn't acceptable?
          I guess if the rate rise happens 15%+, I would stay; otherwise, I'll find another one in a better sector.

Comment

You say they offered a few weeks, if its only a few weeks I would be tempted not to worry about the rise. If a few weeks is likely to drag out to months then go for the rise.

Something definitely needs to be confirmed in writing, "yes we are extending", "the rise is too much but we can offer £x instead". At the moment it all seems to be verbal.

Signed contract is best.

GL
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

You need some sort of confirmation, a letter of intent or even an email. One from the client and one from the agent. The agent one should contain new terms. If it is coming from their cut then they should be able to confirm extension conditional to client agreeing. As you would already have client confirmation then all would be well.
              Just because you worked without contract before does not mean you have to. There are many reasons not to work without a contract in place. You, your client and to some extent the agent are open to legal issues IF something nasty happens. If you get injured or killed, or should you injure or kill someone. If you cause millions of pounds of damage to a software system etc. Do you think the insurers covering the pay out will just accept the circumstances or will they try and wriggle out of it?
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

oh dear

feck's sake might be getting a 'few weeks' extension and asks for a 30% rate rise

rotflmfao

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  You say they offered a few weeks, if its only a few weeks I would be tempted not to worry about the rise. If a few weeks is likely to drag out to months then go for the rise.

Something definitely needs to be confirmed in writing, "yes we are extending", "the rise is too much but we can offer £x instead". At the moment it all seems to be verbal.

Signed contract is best.

GL
                  Initially couple of weeks until their main head is back from holiday then to be extended for another 2 months for the current project then possibly extending it longer for another project.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
                    Initially couple of weeks until their main head is back from holiday then to be extended for another 2 months for the current project then possibly extending it longer for another project.
                    That isn't quite what you posted originally, is it?

Originally posted by Dynamic
                    My contract ends this week and my manager said they'd like me to stay for few more weeks to complete the work, however, they haven't confirmed it with the agency yet.
                    Therefore in the spirit of "General" I claim the right to denounce you as talking bollocks!

The thing that really rings out as untrue is that if you really were in with a chance of an extension the agent would be all over it like a rash!
                    Last edited by Churchill; 26 August 2011, 07:35.

Comment

Winston, that was very gentlemanly of you.

Amateurs like Dynamic make the rest of us look like professionals !

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X