I was promised that my contract is to be extended but hasn't yet so what to do now? I was promised that my contract is to be extended but hasn't yet so what to do now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11

    Banned

    Churchill has more data than eek

    Churchill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the rug licking my balls.
    Posts
    25,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonzaMike View Post
    Is your boss aware that you want a 30% increase?

    It's one thing to keep working on basis of continuing Ts & Cs. Indeed if you show up that's the implied terms that you are working to.

    Your boss may not be quite so keen if he hears you want another 30% (..though maybe that's coming form the agents cut?)

    Insurance is a key issue where I work. Not allowed on site until renewal as been agreed.
    Of course he isn't. If a contractor tried that kind of bollocks on me I'd kick him out of the building. Matter of principle, init?

  2. #12

    Still gathering requirements...

    Dynamic has no reputation


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonzaMike View Post
    Is your boss aware that you want a 30% increase?

    It's one thing to keep working on basis of continuing Ts & Cs. Indeed if you show up that's the implied terms that you are working to.

    Your boss may not be quite so keen if he hears you want another 30% (..though maybe that's coming form the agents cut?)

    Insurance is a key issue where I work. Not allowed on site until renewal as been agreed.
    No, I asked for something around 30% rise; not dictating only 30% or I leave. And that will be cut from the agent's share mainly I guess. Remember 30% rate rise, means the client is to pay e.g. 15% rate rise or even less since the agency can cut their margin (I believe they charge the client for around £500-£550)

    What I could do better was looking properly for another contract while waiting on the extension signed so that I could strengthen my position in the negotiation.

    Now I only have a verbal promise, just a potential!
    Last edited by Dynamic; 26th August 2011 at 06:42.

  3. #13

    Banned

    Churchill has more data than eek

    Churchill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the rug licking my balls.
    Posts
    25,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
    No, I asked for something around 30% rise; not dictating only 30% or I leave. And that will be cut from the agent's share mainly I guess. Remember 30% rate rise, means the client is to pay e.g. 15% rate rise or even less since the agency can cut their margin (I believe they charge the client for around £500-£550)

    What I could do better was looking properly for another contract while waiting on the extension answer so that I can strengthen my position in the negotiation as well.
    What are you going to do if the 30% hike isn't acceptable?

  4. #14

    Still gathering requirements...

    Dynamic has no reputation


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    What are you going to do if the 30% hike isn't acceptable?
    I guess if the rate rise happens 15%+, I would stay; otherwise, I'll find another one in a better sector.

  5. #15

    Super poster

    Scrag Meister has more data than eek

    Scrag Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London and Devon
    Posts
    4,060

    Default

    You say they offered a few weeks, if its only a few weeks I would be tempted not to worry about the rise. If a few weeks is likely to drag out to months then go for the rise.

    Something definitely needs to be confirmed in writing, "yes we are extending", "the rise is too much but we can offer £x instead". At the moment it all seems to be verbal.

    Signed contract is best.

    GL
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Arturo Bassick has no reputation

    Arturo Bassick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    You need some sort of confirmation, a letter of intent or even an email. One from the client and one from the agent. The agent one should contain new terms. If it is coming from their cut then they should be able to confirm extension conditional to client agreeing. As you would already have client confirmation then all would be well.
    Just because you worked without contract before does not mean you have to. There are many reasons not to work without a contract in place. You, your client and to some extent the agent are open to legal issues IF something nasty happens. If you get injured or killed, or should you injure or kill someone. If you cause millions of pounds of damage to a software system etc. Do you think the insurers covering the pay out will just accept the circumstances or will they try and wriggle out of it?
    Just saying like.

    where there's chaos, there's cash !

    I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

    Lowering the tone since 1963

  7. #17

    Godlike

    milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    oh dear

    feck's sake might be getting a 'few weeks' extension and asks for a 30% rate rise

    rotflmfao

    Milan.

  8. #18

    Still gathering requirements...

    Dynamic has no reputation


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    You say they offered a few weeks, if its only a few weeks I would be tempted not to worry about the rise. If a few weeks is likely to drag out to months then go for the rise.

    Something definitely needs to be confirmed in writing, "yes we are extending", "the rise is too much but we can offer £x instead". At the moment it all seems to be verbal.

    Signed contract is best.

    GL
    Initially couple of weeks until their main head is back from holiday then to be extended for another 2 months for the current project then possibly extending it longer for another project.

  9. #19

    Banned

    Churchill has more data than eek

    Churchill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the rug licking my balls.
    Posts
    25,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
    Initially couple of weeks until their main head is back from holiday then to be extended for another 2 months for the current project then possibly extending it longer for another project.
    That isn't quite what you posted originally, is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic
    My contract ends this week and my manager said they'd like me to stay for few more weeks to complete the work, however, they haven't confirmed it with the agency yet.
    Therefore in the spirit of "General" I claim the right to denounce you as talking bollocks!

    The thing that really rings out as untrue is that if you really were in with a chance of an extension the agent would be all over it like a rash!
    Last edited by Churchill; 26th August 2011 at 07:35.

  10. #20

    Godlike

    milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    Winston, that was very gentlemanly of you.

    Amateurs like Dynamic make the rest of us look like professionals !

    Milan.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •