• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I was promised that my contract is to be extended but hasn't yet so what to do now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was promised that my contract is to be extended but hasn't yet so what to do now?

My contract ends this week and my manager said they'd like me to stay for few more weeks to complete the work, however, they haven't confirmed it with the agency yet.

I asked the agency to contact the client and the agency said he has booked a call with the client for in mid next week to sort out the extension.

obviously, my contract hasn't been extended yet but the client had said they'd need me few more weeks so what am I supposed to do next week on Tuesday as the agency hasn't confirmed it with them my new rate and duration of the contract yet?!

There are 2 other factors affecting this:
    * I haven't got any other job offer at the moment as I didn't have time looking for one
    * I had asked the agency to have about 30% rate rise as my rate was below average (from £300 to something around £400)

So now I have 2 options I think:

1) I say I can only come to work when the contract is signed and a new rate is agreed, then looking for a new contract with a better rate until they respond back to me. What if they don't extend it until another week and I loose 5 days of payment?!

2) I go on the client site on Tuesday and just be there until they sort out the contract with my manager as the manager had said they need me there?!

what if they don't agree with my new rate? If they didn't rise the rate then I still work there and at the same time I look for a new contract with a better rate. When a new contract is found then I give my 1 day notice immediately.

Perhaps the second is the best option?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dynamic; 25 August 2011, 21:51.

It depends on whether you think it will be sorted out or not.

If you think it will be sorted, then you work every day but keep in the loop of the progress of the paperwork, and it is OK to pester your agent a lot to get the paperwork done ASAP.

If you are unsure if it will be sorted out then you have to get a written contract extension between you and the client co. and daily timesheets signed by the client co. If you have no paper trail a future encounter in court is much more difficult.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I've had a situation like this before where the client/agency have been a bit slow to confirm an extension.

I politely explained to the clientco manager exactly why I could not possibly turn up the following week without a signed contract. There are quite a few reasons for this btw. The client put pressure on the agency and turned it around by COB on the Friday. I suppose it depends on how well the clientco manager understands the contracting MO.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        There are quite a few reasons for this btw.
        thanks, could you suggest some good reasons?

Comment

Simple. Tell the client you can't come on site without a signed contract but you will do what you can from your own business premises. All the heat will then be on the agency and they will get it sorted.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
            thanks, could you suggest some good reasons?
            Insurance (assuming that you have some ?) You will not be insured to be on a clients site without reasonable grounds for being so - i.e. contracted to perform a business function.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              Simple. Tell the client you can't come on site without a signed contract but you will do what you can from your own business premises. All the heat will then be on the agency and they will get it sorted.
              It wouldn't be that simple. First month of my contract I worked without signing the contract as we were still negotiating on the terms so it's not sensible to say I can't come on site without a signed contract. at that time, at least I had received a contract and was supposed to be signed at least.

I was told that it will certainly be extended but I don't believe in anything until I see it has happened in action since at the last minute the plan may possibly change for whatever stupid/odd reason.

I'm going to ask the client to confirm in email that they'd like me to be back next week; so annoying and disturbing!

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                Insurance (assuming that you have some ?) You will not be insured to be on a clients site without reasonable grounds for being so - i.e. contracted to perform a business function.
                what's the name of the insurance relevant to this? (personal indemnity insurance shouldn't be related to this?)

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
                  It wouldn't be that simple. First month of my contract I worked without signing the contract as we were still negotiating on the terms so it's not sensible to say I can't come on site without a signed contract. at that time, at least I had received a contract and was supposed to be signed at least.

I was told that it will certainly be extended but I don't believe in anything until I see it has happened in action since at the last minute the plan may possibly change for whatever stupid/odd reason.

I'm going to ask the client to confirm in email that they'd like me to be back next week; so annoying and disturbing!
                  You're expected to do your job, tell the agency that you expect them to do theirs. Failing that you'll negotiate your own extension with clientco. You are in business, after all...

Or you could just whinge about it on an internet forum all day...

Comment

Is client aware of 30% rise?

Is your boss aware that you want a 30% increase?

It's one thing to keep working on basis of continuing Ts & Cs. Indeed if you show up that's the implied terms that you are working to.

Your boss may not be quite so keen if he hears you want another 30% (..though maybe that's coming form the agents cut?)

Insurance is a key issue where I work. Not allowed on site until renewal as been agreed.

Comment

Working...
                    X