• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Existing MOT (valid till Sept end) & Failed new MOT ..!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing MOT (valid till Sept end) & Failed new MOT ..!!

Hi,

My car's MOT expiry is Sept end, but if I take test now & fail MOT, can I still drive my car as normal till the end of this month or once new MOT is done, existing MOT (Valid till Sept end) will not be valid any more..??

My usual mechanic is away for a couple of weeks. So if I could pass MOT in one of the chain stores I am OK. But if it fails I want to wait till Sept last week so that I can do the repair work with my usual mechanic.

My worry is once I did the test & fail, MOT record will show as failed & I could be trouble for driving the car even though my current MOT covers till Sept end.

Please let me know.

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Hi,

My car's MOT expiry is Sept end, but if I take test now & fail MOT, can I still drive my car as normal till the end of this month or once new MOT is done, existing MOT (Valid till Sept end) will not be valid any more..??

My usual mechanic is away for a couple of weeks. So if I could pass MOT in one of the chain stores I am OK. But if it fails I want to wait till Sept last week so that I can do the repair work with my usual mechanic.

My worry is once I did the test & fail, MOT record will show as failed & I could be trouble for driving the car even though my current MOT covers till Sept end.

Please let me know.
    Yes, you can carry on driving it until the current MOT runs out. That's the point of allowing an overlap - gives you time to resolve any issues before it runs out.

Comment

Hi,

Please let me know.
      You're allowed some time to get any repairs done anyway. Not sure if this helps but I'm sure this would mean that the fail is not recorded in the same way as a pass on these new-fangled electronic systems. But IANAMOTTester.

Comment

It won't be roadworthy, you can't drive it except home, or to a repair centre.

They may overlook it if its a minor fail but its at their (police etc) discretion .

Your insurance will of course be invalid.

Remember its now computerised.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks a lot........So far its 2 (Yes) : 1 (No)...

So bit confusing again..any link to confirm this will be very helpful.
          I am sure after expiry I can drive it for repair or retest only. But not 100% convinced if old MOT still valid could i drive as normal till expiry..?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            It won't be roadworthy, you can't drive it except home, or to a repair centre.

They may overlook it if its a minor fail but its at their (police etc) discretion .

Your insurance will of course be invalid.

Remember its now computerised.
            What are you talking about - stop giving advice when you clearly know tulip all about the issue.

If your current MOT is valid until the end of Sept your car is MOT'd until the end of September. The wording on the certificate is "to preserve the expiry of this MOT the earliest you may test this vehicle is end of Aug" - that is the overlap. You cannot "fail" an MOT once you have one, your car is considered MOT'd for a year from the date of issue. You can get done for driving a car in a non road worthy state but that is not the same as having no MOT. The garage cannot legally stop you from driving away or cannot phone the police to tell them and there are pretty strict rules about this.

Note that not having an MOT doesn't mean that a vehicle is "dangerous" or roadworthy. A blown headlight bulb is a MOT failure but doesn't mean the car is a death trap.

So to recap...

a) You can drive it anywhere until the end of Sept then home, to a MOT garage or repair center as long as they are pre booked when your existing MOT expires.
            b) Nowt to do with the Police. You still have an MOT for now.
            c) Insurance will still be valid. It's virtually impossible to invalidate the 3rd party section of your motor policy which is all you need to drive on the road legally. The other parts could be invalidated if you didn't have an MOT but as you do I wouldn't worry.
            d) It's been computerised for years and means tulip all as he still has an MOT.

Sockpuppet - Transport Contractor to the stars.
            Last edited by Sockpuppet; 5 September 2011, 20:52.

Comment

Thanks a lot........So far its 2 (Yes) : 1 (No)...

So bit confusing again..any link to confirm this will be very helpful.
              I am sure after expiry I can drive it for repair or retest only. But not 100% convinced if old MOT still valid could i drive as normal till expiry..?
              K2P2 is correct. Your car has a MOT until your current MOT expires.

The others are technically correct in that if it failed on lights/tyres etc and you were stopped, you'd get a ticket. If it failed on a cv joint gaitor or something, it wouldn't be spotted by a roadside check.

However, your current MOT is still valid and legal. Anyone suggesting otherwise is talking sh1te.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Couldn't find any hard and fast evidence (much like a lot of current uk legislation) but did find this here

A friend of mine maintains that if you have a car MOT Tested before the expiry date she will have 2 weeks in which to repair / drive it before it is illegal. I am under the understanding that once the MOT has expired you are not permitted to drive at all unless going to and from a place of repair (MOT Garage or otherwise). Please can you clairfy the correct and legal thing to do. Many Thanks, Dan Clark

Your MOT is valid until its expiry date even if in the meantime your car fails the MOT - the original pass is still valid. In fact you can have the Test done up to a calendar month before the expiry date and have the new MOT forward-dated to the expiry date of the existing certificate. So if you have your car Tested during that month and it fails, this gives you time to have the repairs carried out and the car re-tested before the expiry of the original certificate and you are not disadvantaged as a result. - MOTT.

Comment

If the car isn't roadworthy then it's a problem whether it has just failed an MOT or not. For example, if the car has bald tires or the lights don't work then you have a problem and you need to get it fixed, whether you have 11 months or 2 days left on your current MOT, and whether it failed another more recent MOT or not.

Driving a car without a valid MOT is a different kettle of fish, even if the car is perfectly safe not having an MOT is an offence.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Meanwhile you have a prang. Good luck getting the insurance to pay up
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X