• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the market like right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market is pretty strong just now I find, few of the big hitters are on their usual 'hiring freeze' drives but those who are hiring are struggling to get experienced bodies in. The industry cheap fix of hiring bobs for the last 10 years rather than train local staff has strangled competition.

As zippy says, paranoid.

Comment

Rates are rising by the looks of it. Its proving hard to find interesting contracts but finding contracts is not difficult at the moment.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It appears that there is work out there.

Permie-wise, I was able to score a decent paying permie gig about a year ago, and recently interviewed for one paying slightly more.

However I'm leaving permidom for a 3-month contract in the Big Smoke, according to clientco manager and agency bod that there is a very good chance at renewal.

Prior to getting this contract, I had a few calls for contracts based in/around London. Sounded legit, but I wasn't prepared to make the jump just yet.

The team I used to work with at one of my previous gigs was decimated recently by cost-cutting/outsourcing to Bobland. Almost all of them soon found gainful employment, a mix of contracts and permie roles. Granted, some of those guys were quite good at what they did - but even the mediocre team members found something.

The only ones who haven't are the relatively older and somewhat lazier guys. I'm sure at a push though they'd find something as well. At least for their sake I hope they do.

Comment

Working...
        X