• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net or Java?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also I wrote a blog system for a client in under 2 days using struts2, spring and hibernate, code fell into place, every line.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You're missing Azure from that list and I've heard rumours of a few e-commerce sites moving in that direction.

Ah, yes, the head in the clouds brigade.

Though any sane company will edge their bets and use several different solutions at once, to provide proper isolation from 'pulled-plug' syndrome.

See Apple and their iCloud (using both Azure and Amazon equivalents) as an example.

Don't bet all your money on Red or Black when you can put it on both, then sell tickets to see which one it lands on.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Ah, yes, the head in the clouds brigade.

Though any sane company will edge their bets and use several different solutions at once, to provide proper isolation from 'pulled-plug' syndrome.

See Apple and their iCloud (using both Azure and Amazon equivalents) as an example.

Don't bet all your money on Red or Black when you can put it on both, then sell tickets to see which one it lands on.
        Moving from AWS to Azure actually proved very painless and the server management time looks seriously reduced compared to AWS.

I know moving is not ideal but moving back wouldn't be that painful.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Where is the demand, where are the jobs, where's the gravy train at? Current and future.

Question inspired by:
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1388314
          Surely the question isn't Java or .Net, but Java or .Net or PHP. Maligned as it is, it's the webby language of choice for many programmers.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Surely the question isn't Java or .Net, but Java or .Net or PHP. Maligned as it is, it's the webby language of choice for many programmers.
            As a contractor PHP = low rate crap.

For plan b's I prefer speed and codesmith means even that is in c#.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm thinking of doing some of the Java certifications while I'm on the bench, I'm a bit reluctant to invest in the Java 6 (and EE 5) ones when Java 7 has just been released though.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I'm a bit reluctant to invest in the Java 6 (and EE 5) ones when Java 7 has just been released though.

To get ahead of the game, get the Java 8 alpha. By the time you're up to speed enough to use it, it will be in demand.

That's how you get 2 years experience of a brand new technology on your CV.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Oh, and Team Foundation Server, as Visual Studio and Source Safe just isn't good enough anymore.
                  VSS was never good enough, even MS admit that and used Perforce for their own big projects.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Also I wrote a blog system for a client in under 2 days using struts2, spring and hibernate, code fell into place, every line.
                  A blog is pretty simple though really. The server side anyway. Out of interest why combine struts with Spring?

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  As a contractor PHP = low rate crap.
                  Unless you can get a gig at one of the big boys like FaceBook, I suppose you're right.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

WTF.

A .Net or Java thread and one with the name Perl in the title in General.

Sorry I must have stumbled onto the wrong website.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X