• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net or Java?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.Net or Java?

Where is the demand, where are the jobs, where's the gravy train at? Current and future.

Question inspired by:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1388314

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Where is the demand, where are the jobs, where's the gravy train at? Current and future.

Question inspired by:
    I inspire people - I'll put it on my CV.

Comment

it's all .Net these days

all aboard the [TOOT] [TOOT] .Net gravy train

plenty of room

try to go for the full MSDN certifications

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Question inspired by:

I'm currently on the gravy train, not currently taking any more passengers.

Ding ding!
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

By overwhelming majority and by landslide victory is the one and only cut and pasty .NET.

Comment

Java.Net
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Everything is .NET these days. There are so many free versions of Visual Studio available these days. It does seem like a bit of an ocean though. Have been working in mainly SQL/BI for the last 5 years with only a bit of .NET and I am thinking whether it is worth getting back into .NET again.......

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                I am thinking whether it is worth getting back into .NET again.......

Depends if you can be arsed delving into stuff they've brought out since, such as Entity Framework, MVC, WPF/XAML, Silverlight.

Oh, and Team Foundation Server, as Visual Studio and Source Safe just isn't good enough anymore.

I'm sure there's other new tech M$ are in the process of rolling out too, as all the above is at least a couple of years old now, so a new wheel (to keep the hamsters occupied) needs inventing.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I'm sure there's other new tech M$ are in the process of rolling out too, as all the above is at least a couple of years old now, so a new wheel (to keep the hamsters occupied) needs inventing.
                  You're missing Azure from that list and I've heard rumours of a few e-commerce sites moving in that direction.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    Everything is .NET these days.
                    No idea where you picked that idea from. Java is the choice of pretty much every financial in the post COBOL age and if you have a certified JEE architects cert it is quids in.

Most larger places shoot where IBM aim for and that is very dull websphere work but the banks love it and I fill the holes they want filled.

Comment

Working...
                    X