• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was at work and after hearing news tried to watch stamp sized video feed on cnn.com but way too slow (for obvious reasons), one of the chaps in the office had radio.

Comment

Was working as permie for British Airways at the time and was in Bahamas on holiday.
      Woke up to see first tower on fire and saw the second tower hit….

Comment

Went to the pub across the road from the office to watch Sky News

Comment

I was on my honeymoon -- today is my 10th Anniversary.

Obviously enough we did not see the Tv until 12th or 13th at which point we thought we should call the family and then we were fine.

Comment

I was 'sametiming' a colleague in the NY office (being very professional explaining Cricket to her), when she told me about the first being hit. Then I got a news feed in NZ (couldn't get it anywhere else in the world) and watched it unfold with some very concerned (US) colleagues and completely amazed other world colleagues.

I was due to go on a company Jolly to Boston which got cancelled along with a proposed pay rise as 'times had changed'.

Second plane come down near where my Auntie lives too.

Comment

I was on a contract in Manchester. We all sat and watched TV most of the afternoon as the whole thing unfolded. Surreal.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was listening to Radio Scotland which informed me that the first plane had hit, I shouted it out to the development team and nobody was interested. The biggest news story for decades.

When I got back from lunch and the second one hit everyone was in a room with somone holding an ariel out the window to get a signal to watch the BBC.

Internet was stuffed as well I remember.

Comment

@clientco. In finance dept which was next to our project shed they had a telly that displayed share prices on teletext - they had tuned it into the news.

We couldn't get any news sites or video feeds at all until one of the contractors who was an Aussie got onto an Aussie news site. There was a lot of confusion and misinformation about.

Whilst I have no time at all for the tinfoil hat conspiracy nutters, I have still never got to the bottom of the debate about how people could (or couldn't) make mobile phone calls from onboard the planes - or even if they did. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about that bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Whilst I have no time at all for the tinfoil hat conspiracy nutters, I have still never got to the bottom of the debate about how people could (or couldn't) make mobile phone calls from onboard the planes - or even if they did. There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about that bit.
                    Technically it was possible back then, but pretty unlikely unless the planes were at a relatively low altitude.

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was in a technical meeting at HP in Wokingham with a ginger bloke. He got a call and, without saying a word, he opened the BBC website and there it was - reporting the first hit.

He said he was actually strawberry blond but it looked ginger to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X