• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us...

what were you doing on the fateful day.

I was sat glued with everyone else at, my then permie employer, Reuters watching live streaming feed on our desktops. Saw the second plane go in "live".

Astounding, even now I am amazed when watching news reports etc..

Been to Ground Zero twice and visited the WTC Exhibition back in June, very moving. we can only imagine.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    what were you doing on the fateful day.
    Phone my sister; it's her birthday.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Having my beloved Fiat Croma fail its last MOT just as the first tower collapsed.

By the time I got home, the 2nd one was on the verge of doing the same thing.

You had two Fiat Croma's ?????

Oh, no. I see what you mean now.

I was motorbiking up to Glasgow from Ashford and knew nothing about it all until late that night.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

On a contract in Glasgow. The PM came over to the office telling us what he'd heard on the radio then sent everyone home. Got home just to see the second tower come down.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Watched it unfold on the telly in the kitchen at my then client co. They were different times.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Was driving from MK to Crewe when the 1st hit. Got there to see 2nd one fall.

Spent the afternoon trying to phone friends in NY but obviously couldn't get through.

Comment

Was working from home whilst contracting at Microsoft. Watched it on telly instead of doing T-SQL coding.

Comment

On my second last permie job which I lost the next day when they binned us all.

The American CEO mailed us all to say "my thoughts and wishes are with you all on this day" then sacked 30 of us.

Comment

Working away in Ottawa when my bosses' sister came bursting in and said "the world is on fire today". We both enquired what she was talking about. She looked at us in utter disbelief and then told us what had happened, that the buildings had collapsed etc.. Both us laughed our heads off. My boss went out with his sister and came back a few minutes later and told me it was all true.

For lunch, we went to a nearby restaurant which had TVs and everyone was transfixed to them. Got back to the office and continued work as normal.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Was in an interview for an Ops Manager job for a well known media .com company.

Someone walked in and said - errr we need more capacity NOW. Everyone left and I got kicked out of the offices.

Got the job though.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X