• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh God! I am so bored!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've all had contracts where we get paid to do nothing and yes it is boring.

One 3 monther I got paid to sit at home so took on another gig at the same time, I never get bored invoicing.

Current gig is very cool and long term but a lot of days spent on WOW or messing about in the studio even while keeping other ad hoc clients happy.

God forbid I end up in another public sector gig though I do nothing and so does everyone else.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      We should arrange some sort of 'Churchill points,' sort of like rep. If he scores so many points in a week then he gets no

That'd soon calm the board down again.

Just an idea, don't shoot the messenger.

He could always start by getting into an argument and insulting every poster, follow that up by being offensive & beligerent, then leave nasty reps for everyone, then act more of a twunt, then start threads about how bored he is, followed with a sprinking of double standards topped up with sobbing into a glass in a bar later on this evening.

Works for me.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hang on you're currently in Belfast. Get an orange sash and walk down the Falls road. That should liven up your evening.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          I feel your pain. I did a 12 month contract where due to office politics I wasn't allowed to change or add to any of the existing code.

I stuck it through as I was newish to contracting, but I wouldn't put up with it again.

Oh, and I had no internet or mobile reception. I must have read more books in those 12 months than I will in the rest of my life.
          I did a gig where we did have internet. But my client manager sat right behind me with a good view on my screen; I couldn't be seen to surf all day, it didn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            I did a gig where we did have internet. But my client manager sat right behind me with a good view on my screen; I couldn't be seen to surf all day, it didn't seem right.
            A contract I had a couple of years ago had a dead spot where I spent most days surfing the net
            The programme manager caught me on several occasions, the only comment he made was that I read more interesting websites than he did!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              A contract I had a couple of years ago had a dead spot where I spent most days surfing the net
              The programme manager caught me on several occasions, the only comment he made was that I read more interesting websites than he did!
              One reason for picking up my ipad was to cover dull periods like that and hide the technical books I refer to when I can't remember the basics of mongodb or whatever the crap I'm currently working with is.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                One reason for picking up my ipad was to cover dull periods like that and hide the technical books I refer to when I can't remember the basics of mongodb or whatever the crap I'm currently working with is.
                At the end of the day, you get the contracts you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  He could always start by getting into an argument and insulting every poster, follow that up by being offensive & beligerent, then leave nasty reps for everyone, then act more of a twunt, then start threads about how bored he is, followed with a sprinking of double standards topped up with sobbing into a glass in a bar later on this evening.

Works for me.
                  I'd never wish to be accused of the type of behaviour that made you so popular.

Btw, you really should stop whinging about me in PMs to the girlies, it's so unbecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    I'd never wish to be accused of the type of behaviour that made you so popular.

Btw, you really should stop whinging about me in PMs to the girlies, it's so unbecoming.
                    Maybe you should stop trying to tell posters what to do because you're a jealous twat. Get some help, it's so unbecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Maybe you should stop trying to tell posters what to do because you're a jealous twat. Get some help, it's so unbecoming.
                      You keep saying that. I think you're reading too much into the fact that I think you're a bullsh!tting, two faced

Comment

Working...
                      X