• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poisoned chalice project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Document everything, facts though painful are better than inaction.

Note successes & gaps factually, then suggest possible solutions be positive, circulate to stakeholders and ask them what they want to do. You can do it informally at first to get a feel.

Make them own the process, you are just facilitating. Blame is someone else's problem, you did your job.

Possible outcomes :

1. They shoot the messenger.
    2. They support/promote the messenger.
    3. They ignore the message and tell you to Nike it.

1. is a pain but you have interviews lined up?
    2. Result bill more and you then know you will enjoy the task.
    3. It's in writing you can't be blamed when it turns to Tulip.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You have three options;

1) Take charge - man up, run with it, be proactive and turn the whole thing around.

2) Shut up and invoice.

3) Leave.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Week 2 on the project and I just met with the business analyst who should have handed over to me in week 1. (Edit - to be fair not his doing)

The generic process designed by him is a high level overview and each department has their own variations on a theme. The consultancy has quoted for delivering the generic process, yet from my workshops it is clear that if this is delivered no one will use the system.

No hope of redefining the project plan, revisiting the requirements. Also the stakeholders are either on holiday, too busy to attend workshops or cannot be arsed.

It also appears there are other stakeholders that need to be involved that have not been so there are huge requirements gaps.

I am supposed to be preparing the f-spec for sign off by next Friday.

What do I do?

Poll to follow.
        I would get a job in McDonald's if I were you, since you seem to be unable to deal with any situations out of the ordinary in your current roles without suffering a complete meltdown.
        You are clearly not temperementally suited to the work you do. You need clear orders, a structure and simple repetitive work.
        So when you get to McDonalds don't get too many gold stars or they may promote you to shift supervisor and you won't be able to cope with that.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Poisoned chalice project
          Really! you have not got it yet, if there is a project that is going to require feathers to be ruffled, permies don't want to commit any CLMS (Career Limiting Moves) they steer clear of the project. Contractors are hired to do the dirty work, force stakeholders to attend meetings uncover hidden requirements etc. when it all goes wrong take the blame.

That’s why you get paid the big bucks.

If it was a good project you would not be there, so your tool kit should include how to handle these problems, because you will need it, if you are going to stay in contracting.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            No hope of redefining the project plan, revisiting the requirements. Also the stakeholders are either on holiday, too busy to attend workshops or cannot be arsed.

<snip>

What do I do?
            Make sure everyone knows the issues.

I really hate the fixed bid type approach in IT, which is what this sounds like. "we'll bid X to do Y" followed by Y turning into "asdglakdgj;lksdgjldkgj;dgsjlY.laskd;lsdkgj;adsgl"

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I would get a job in McDonald's if I were you, since you seem to be unable to deal with any situations out of the ordinary in your current roles without suffering a complete meltdown....
              That won't help. What if somone says "no" when they're asked "would you like fries with that?".
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                That won't help. What if somone says "no" when they're asked "would you like fries with that?".
                This issue does not arise if your responsibilities are limited to ' fry racking' and taking out the bins.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Some disturbing evidence of practical experience is emerging in this thread.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Please advise on

a) How to force people to attend workshops and contribute.
                    b) How to insert another 2 weeks into the plan without any of the dates slipping.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      This issue does not arise if your responsibilities are limited to ' fry racking' and taking out the bins.
                      Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X