• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poisoned chalice project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The fooker went live. An entire team of people worldwide to deal with the fall out of this major change if we'd got something wrong.

My team flown to the corners of the world.

Deployment was two hours quicker than expected.

Tested until late Saturday morning, picked up no bloody problems.

Monday morning, worldwide training took place, (not run by me as we have a 'communications' expert). Numerous questions, I was on the panel & answered them all. Tuesday, a few minor issues but no showstoppers. In fact, the whole thing went so smoothly my entire team & the development team are left scratching our heads, while a number of 'other' people jumped on the bandwagon at the last second to take the glory as they'd done the comms & training. Because there were no problems / nothing to recover from it's like a damp squib. It's like Y2K all over again.

I've never felt so fookin deflated in my life.
    Phase 3 and 4 final phases go live May 12th. The last two phases worked will 3 and 4. I have resigned my position and when this fecker is over I move into a new role. 18 months of sheer hassle.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have resigned my position
      Again?

Comment

You want PermieUK.

HTH.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Phase 3 and 4 final phases go live May 12th. The last two phases worked will 3 and 4. I have resigned my position and when this fecker is over I move into a new role. 18 months of sheer hassle.
          Phases 3 and 4 failed to go live in May. Phase 4 went live 80% in June. A whole heap of fallout but due to my canny decision to resign half my role earlier I avoided the fallout.

During testing they decided that the '4 more weeks worth of dev' was actually another 9 months. How a dev team can it so wrong and still noone fired is amazing.

Then having handed over half my team & responsibilities a tulip storm kicked off over the massive corporate data warehouse I had built outside of IT & for the sakes of peace and goodwill I handed it over to the new BI Director in IT with head count.

Then finally last week once the handovers were complete my boss got removed and I got a new one, green and from outside the company. 'What do you do?' was the first question. 'Ah well......' said I

Trying to hang on until August bonus.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Break him. Ahem. I mean in gently.

Sent from my iMinion using Tapatalk
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

This very morning I have made the offer to do the proverbial walk to the potting shed with a bottle of scotch and my old service revolver, over one of the two projects I am kicking off. Nice thing about contracting is that I can just walk away. It has failure and misery watermarked into the documentation and life is too short. Interestingly my client, a very nice and competent chap, tolerates a contractor 50% of whose colleagues refuse to work with her. One client has also requested her off the project for personal reasons. Most odd.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
              X